Prospector's Journal

Got my own test server running finally.
Here I had been thinking “how could remote clients possibly be unable to open the menu, that’s pure client-side code”, and then I couldn’t open the menu when connected to a server.
Got the chat message that specified the client was told about the sample, and found the client data file had logged the sample perfectly. Appears to be pure display problem, is that consistent BearSr?
Definitely calling for help with these UI bugs. It feels like it’d be easier to do the whole refactor as a PR to main GT than fix the display problems (which’ll probably have to be done there anyhow, as I don’t understand how they are happening now).

3 Likes

Okay, I was using the wrong Forge function to fetch the dimensions list (one that doesn’t work on remote clients), and so the GUI auto-closed for having zero valid worlds to look at. The one that does work is labelled ‘not part of the api’. This is related to inheriting the TCNT limitation that dimension names are only shown for singleplayer/host, everyone else gets id numbers.

With the two remaining bugs being display niceties, I’ll tentaively call this a pre-release version.
Enjoy!
prospectorjournal-0.11.1-DEV.20211005055806.c773417.jar (153.2 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! Your mod is really helpful and i am currently using it with friends. I’m not sure if using minimap mods or prospectors journal count as cheating though.

2 Likes

Does that really surprise you knowing forge? :wink:

3 Likes

Does it need to be installed server-side? It’s not working on just the client. The menu can be brought up and all but it never fills out. Don’t see why it couldn’t work just client-side as it only needs client-side info.

2 Likes

See Polling rock sample contents help .
Detecting the additional transitions mentioned in Greg’s reply are the primary case in favour of rolling this feature into a PR on GT core.

Indicator flowers and found ore blocks work client-side.
As for the rocks…
The server alone has the worldgen TileEntity data of which rock / raw ore is stored inside the rock; when it is clicked, the server puts that directly into the player’s inventory, and the server then authoritatively updates the client’s inventory to contain that rock. A pure client-side mod has no access whatsoever to the mineral type that will be produced by the rock, which gives the false negative of Everything being basic rock layer material, it cannot detect ore rocks.
… a server portion of the mod is required.
Alternately, one could try to detect the inventory changed when the rock was added, as was suggested on my modpack Discord – best of luck discarding every time you take rocks out of a chest, de-craft a block of raw ore, pick up a rock that was dropped into the world, or otherwise gain a rock (in addition to the inaccuracy of having entity float position & look direction instead of tile coordinates).

3 Likes

I highly suggest you to work on the GUI a bit. Make the buttons prettier, better scrolling ect. This mod is amazing and i am getting used to it so much that it might become the next NEI for me (essential).

3 Likes

Dumb Question, can you detect the Chat Message that pops up whenever you rightclick a Rock with a Magnifying Glass?

2 Likes

Pretty sure you can, just add a check for what item player is holding to the funciton that writes messages in chat.

2 Likes

They’re supposed to be, I have so far not found the error in the API that is preventing textures from drawing on that screen.

? How so? Mouse wheel listener is on the (rather long) potential upgrades list. Animated scroll is not.

The existence of Inventarium and Corporea networks implies yes. Some research required to implement.

Thank you, truly.

3 Likes

What units are the contents shown in?

2 Likes

It’s a pure odds weight; and an approximation of the processing chances.
If you get (about 36 whole) Crushed ores, sluice them, and then centrifuge it all, on average you will have x tiny Refined Ore of each thing per 528 Tiny Refined ores total (as material amount, since smelting transform is included by default).
Bedrock veins have massive numbers as they include the 1:32 chance of getting any byproduct raw ore instead, thus Tiny Refined Ore per about 108 thousand whole Crushed ores (ten or eleven IRL hours well powered on a good spot).

3 Likes

Speaking of, oh @Gregorius, have you thought of adding this mod straight in so it has better integration? Though I’d think the UI should be different, maybe a clipboard item, and any clipboards in the inventory (or maybe just hotbar) get the data when you pick up a rock, that way you could have different clipboards for different areas of the world too perhaps, or for different dimensions or so?

Might require a touch of ASM to do outside of GT6, but doesn’t seem hard to do?

A touch of ASM for a callback in the right case would make it pretty trivial. :slight_smile:

Hmm, interesting idea, that could work…

2 Likes

The Reason that I dont include this is because it ruins immersion into the Game too much. If you wanna write down your Ore Veins you gotta go grab a writable Book and put its Info in there. :wink:

3 Likes

Hence a clipboard instead of a magic game menu! Lol. Basically a book that updates.

3 Likes

You aren’t writing it, Steve is.

3 Likes

That’s my thought, hence why he needs to carry such a notebook/clipboard/orebook/stonebook/whatever, lol.

2 Likes

just tested the last update with GT.15 update and it crashed in SP as soon as i picked up a rock crash-2022-04-23_10.51.17-server.txt (18.0 KB)

2 Likes

DAMNIT BEAR! finding Bugs I caused when moving Files that I did not expect anyone to have touched… I’m gonna look at that later on to see how I can fix it.

1 Like

can confirm it is now fixed in latest GT6 snapshot

3 Likes