GregTech-6 Main Thread

I noticed that you added ways to make gypsum but what use is there for the stuff? I have found some veins of it but it appears to have no use. Am I missing a mod where it is used?

Also the changelog said you made yellow limonite smelt into hematite, but couldn’t you electrolyze molten hematite before? That also seems to have been removed. You can mix it with HCL to get ferric chloride but it takes slightly more than you get from smelting 1 unit, but you can also mix 1 unit of yellow limonite dust with HCL to get the same so there seems to be loss in smelting it. I’m also pretty sure you used to be able to electrolyze molten ferric chloride but no longer can.

It looks like the best way to process yellow limonite now is to mix it with HCL to get ferric chloride, mix that with iron dust to get ferous chloride, melt that and then electrolyze that. For some reason the recipe for that says it needs 36_792 GU. Yes, there’s an underscore in there.

I also just noticed underscores where I would expect commas to be in the readout on my EV batteries.

2 Likes

Aaaaand you are starting here again DAMNIT. XD

At least it’s about the current Release, but wouldn’t that warrant a Thread in the Support/Questions Section? You wrote a whole paragraph.

Gypsum is not really used in GT6, so yes other Mods, duh. Explains 99% of all useless Materials.

Iron Processing changed, surprise!

And Underscores are the universal Decimal Separator (that or Spaces, but I cant do half-spaces in MC and normal ones are too wide), commas and periods are inconsistent over different Languages, even different ENGLISH languages.

1 Like

What was the separator before? Why did it change? Can’t MC use the proper locale settings to display the right character? Though I have always wondered why you Europeans use commas and decimal points backwards from the way we do.

2 Likes

Nothing, there was none, lol.

Because there was none, lol.

That assumes MC to be competent, and that Locale is set properly by the end user. So not an option in either case. Also Locales are broken as fuck in most Languages.

Because Commas are bigger and therefore the more logical choice over a period for displaying fractional amounts, when it comes to READING.
While the other way around, if you WRITE its easier to do Commas than Periods so you use the Periods instead for fractional amounts and the Commas for Decimal Separators.

1 Like

What do you mean they are broken? Also why is it not a good assumption that users have their locale settings correct? I mean certainly they are used to getting the correct separator in all other programs they run aren’t they?

Interesting… I never thought about that. Though commas are used as separators in lists and other things so it just seems odd that in numbers you would use the decimal place.

Odd… I think of periods as easier to write. They certainly are used much more frequently since you end every sentence with one.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, when I see decimals and commas used the other way it makes me step back for a second until I realize this must be European style and just swap them in my head, but underscores just look really weird. I’m not sure I’d rather have none than an underscore.

2 Likes

Are you aware that I am german and that we use 1.000.000,00 ? I know for a fact its always broken SOMEWHERE, and the way locale is implemented in many systems is so horrificley broken that you cant even compile code to do the same thing on different systems.

That was before computers and typewriters, ya doof.

Also @OvermindDL1 I hope that Post isn’t getting cut off again, I will delete the Release Post, so you can try again. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I said you Europeans use them backwards :wink:

But the C locale settings when used properly make sure that you see them that way and we see them the other way.

Of course. We were talking about writing after all, not typing.

2 Likes

If you use Unicode which you should, that’s is one of the most broken ones, where setting the Locale makes code go wrong EVERYWHERE.

1 Like

What’s cut off?

1 Like

The Changelog, look at it, the /quote part and HALF OF THE CHANGELOG ITSELF are missing.

1 Like

It sent this to the webhook verbatim:

An Update to GregTech has been released!
GregTech for 1.7.10

Cue the fully automatic Changelog:

I made a Fake NEI Recipe List for Toolhead on Handle Crafting. This should make it easier to see what you can use for things.

[quote]
6.14.07:
[NOTE] I’ve been indirectly asked through bear, to make GT6 Tools compatible with “Progressive Automation”, but it only accepts Vanilla alike Tools, meaning that will never really work. But my Wrench can harvest all of its Machines now at the very least.
[COMPAT] Per Fabrica Ad Astra (PFAA)
If CustomOreGen is not installed, PFAA still works, this means PFAA Blocks exist but they wont generate. Because of this likely intended thing, I will now generate the 25 PFAA Rock Types with my own Stone Layer System alongside the other Stuff, if PFAA is installed with
out CustomOreGen.
The PFAA Sands now have more appropriate Processing, and the PFAA Clay Balls now have fitting Material Data.
I made sure all Ores actually work. Realgar (Red Gem Ore made of Arsenic + Sulfur) did not have any Material Data.
[IMPROVED] Advanced Crafting Table now consumes Items in a better order. Also fixed a brand new Bug I caused earlier.
[FIXED] Magnesite and Magnesium Carbonate are now the same Material, like they should have been.
[FIXED] The Collect Sound for autocollecting Tools is now matching the vanilla Sound in Pitch and Volume.
[FIXED] Battery Boxes were not able to charge Tools unless a Battery was inside of them to make them able to accept Power. (their internal buffer would eventually reach zero when charging tools only)
[FIXED] Aqua Regia Processing Ores emitted too much Water, effectively turning Oxygen into Hydrogen.
[CHANGED] Air Vents now do 256000L per 360 ticks at a time, instead of only 16000. They have an Offset for ticking too now, so you can use multiple Vents on one Pipe/Drum/etc now.
[CHANGED] There is now more Galena Veins in the World, and visible on the Surface in Mountains.
[CHANGED] A bunch of Ores, that I deemed way too useless years ago, has been added back. None of them are required for anything, old Worlds are safe as always. :wink:
[ADDED] NEI Handler for putting Toolheads on Handles. I used the Machine Recipe Handler and Fake Recipes for that one.
[ADDED] Arsenic can now be used to make Poison and Harming Potions.
[ADDED] Crushed Purified Biotite can now be heated in the Dryer to make Argon Gas from it. It is mostly a Byproduct of other Ores like Asbestos though,
[ADDED] Gypsum, Trona and Mirabilite now have Recipes to create them by mixing some Chemicals with Water (They can be dried back too). Perlite now has a drying Recipe that turns it into Obsidian aswell.
[ADDED] Iron and Hydrochloric Acid now have a few more Chemical Reactions. This will improve Hematite extraction from Limonite. Oh and Limonite now smelts into Hematite, like it does in real Life, so it is no longer an easy Shortcut, like it was before.
[ADDED] Vanadiumsteel Fluid Pipe that can handle Acids and otherwise has the same Stats as Tungstensteel (which cannot handle Acids).
[ADDED] Porcelain Cup Recipe. Now you dont need to rely on Loot anymore to get those small Cups.
[ADDED] Two more variants of Black Sand. They are essentially identical in function when it comes to getting Iron, Vanadium and Gold, so it is not much of a change. They also came from PFAA and were dormant and only somewhat compatible until now.
[ADDED]
Bentonite Clay, Kaolinite Clay and Palygorskite Clay (try to say that 3 times fast), which are Yellow, White and Blue Clay.
The only reason I did this, is because I noticed PFAA added those, and they were long dormant in my Ore Materials Section (I did not think of them as Clays back then), so now I gave them Life!
Please take note that I changed the Electrolyzation Output of Clay, and that Vanilla Clay does no longer give Lithium. Only Brown Clay does.

[/quote]

So perhaps discourse added a post limit via webhook lately…

1 Like

It broke the moment it has hit my Smiley

Edit: We did not update Discourse this year yet so webhook limit is NOT the reason.

1 Like

Heh, don’t tell me discourse doesn’t allow emoji’s in it’s json bodies… That’s stupid if so…

The forum converted it to an emoji, looks like it was just ;), wonder what that broke in discourse…

1 Like

It has hit my manual Semicolon + Closed Elipses Smiley, I dont do Emojis lol, at least not until I update Kubuntu XD

1 Like

An Update to GregTech has been released!

Cue the fully automatic Changelog:

I made a Fake NEI Recipe List for Toolhead on Handle Crafting. This should make it easier to see what you can use for things.

2 Likes

Only difference is I edited the ;) out, now wtf discourse…

1 Like

How so?

Post post post post.

2 Likes

certain Libraries are written to handle stuff like toUppercase or toLowercase depending on the currently set locale, if the locale happens to change that, those programs which do not expect it to change at all ever, will end up with weird interactions and results for functions that act on characters like that. Especially if you use a mix of ASCII, ANSI, UTF8 and WTF16.

Locale based functions are not at all consistent, that is why you are supposed to use dedicated Libraries like getText, that do Localization of your Stuff, because Locale is too fucked up and inconsistent to be reliable. This goes to the extend of many many memory out of bounds, buffer overflow and arbitrary code execution bugs caused by using anything that interacts with Locale at all, even the most innocent Functions like toUppercase or toLowercase.

This does by the way not just affect C, it’s almost all older Languages that have some sort of default Locale Library built into them. So stay away from it at all cost and use a proper thing instead of the default.

Also make new threads instead of posting here, damnit, there is a category for stuff that doesnt have a fitting category for a reason!
(I am saying that because I do not want lengthy conversations on THIS thread, and you always end up causing those, so you will have to make new threads :P)

2 Likes

Okay another Release where the Bot did not post it to the Forums, but it did post it to the IRC Channel…

Well it is out and contains just a Bugfix and some Railcraft Rail Recipes.

1 Like

So Kaolinite now seems to made of clay, which has been changed to be a mix of calcium, silicon dioxide, and alumina. Shouldn’t you be able to wash it in acid to get vitriol of clay?

2 Likes