GregTech-6 Main Thread

What?! That is not the correct Value. It has to be able to contain at least 16000L of Air!

Edit: Also put a Drum at the Automatic Input and attach the Vent to that in this case.

1 Like

It uses 8000L every 16 ticks, and since an invar drum can only hold 64000L, that will run out after 128 ticks, still well before the vent triggers again. Directly attaching the vent will be even worse. And again, having the drum in the way must use at least as much cpu time as you are saving by limiting how often the vent can run, so what is the point?

Can you not allow the machine to pull as much as it can hold ( like /dev/zero ) from a directly attached vent each time it completes a job? That should let the vent supply as much as any machine can take while minimizing cpu use.

2 Likes

I get what you mean, but “just slap a single vent on it” should NOT be the solution for gameplay reasons. That is the primary Issue here.

Sure on the secondary the tick rate of the Vent itself is performance based, but that isn’t the primary reason.

1 Like

Ohh… I thought the reason you nerfed it originally was purely for performance reasons. So even though air is unlimited, you don’t want to just slap a vent on a machine that needs air and be done with it? Even the minimum rate of air consumption by a minimal heat roasting oven can’t be handled by many pipes, so it doesn’t seem very playable to force concentration of air and distribution by pipes either. It seems kind of odd that an unlimited resource literally pulled from the air shouldn’t be as simple as slap an air vent on the machine to me.

2 Likes

Note that i said SINGLE Vent. :wink:
As mentioned above, that tick offset should speed up a lot of things when using 5 vents on a drum for example.

Edit: Also most Recipes on the Roaster take 512 Ticks to complete, 128 if you run at max speed. That should be more than enough for a simple Drum with a Vent.

1 Like

Ahh, I never noticed that pure sulfur takes much less heat than other recipies so it goes much faster. Still, running a mixer to combine sulfur dioxide with air to make sulfur trioxide isn’t far behind. I suppose an invar or stainless drum will keep up with that, but I don’t understand the desire to require the use of a drum instead of just placing the vent on the machine directly and be done with it. Then again I also don’t understand why you changed electrolysis of vitriols to return the acid instead of the gas that then needs another mixer, but I guess I’m not complaining about that. I’m currently building another 3 LV mixers to set up an aqua regia loop to process all of the purified nickel ore I got from persulfate bathing all of the yellow limonite I dug up in the process of trying dig up some tungsten ore I finally found, and I don’t miss having to run 4 LV mixers by manually using the wire cutter to switch power back and forth between mixers and the MV electrolyzer to aqua regia tons of nickel from sluicing garierite trying to get enough platinum to make a crystallization crucible to be able to make an LV battery box before you allowed an LV electrolyzer to work with one less mixer and gave more platinum group sludge ore and let the T1 crystallization crucible be made with quartz instead of iridium. That was a BITCH and a half…

2 Likes

That happened with a Sulfur overhaul to make it slightly more realistic.

Also PLEASE hit the Enter or Return Key after longer sentences. It wont post your reply, unless maybe if you’re on Phone and it does weird garbage.

1 Like

Yea, that was a little bit of a long paragraph… but still…

You have made many things so much easier, and this thing that seems so simple harder. I guess I just don’t get it.

2 Likes

Thing is, early on with a Vent on the Roaster, you always got enough Air even with the old Values, because it is clear that roasting normal Sulfur is not really an option, or any useful, compared to roasting Ores that happen to contain Sulfur. :wink:

1 Like

Is a vent on the roaster even enough to roast galena? I haven’t checked but even if it is, when why is it enough not to roast pure sulfur? Or enough to upgrade the sulfur dioxide to sulfur trioxide? I see the vent as "let’s use the infinite air around us, possibly at a 20% loss of material compared to oxygen. Once you decide to use the infinite air, the loss should be in using the air, not in slapping down enough drums and/or pipes and/or vents to get enough air… you know? In other words, if you decide to use air, and that should come with some loss, that loss should not be overcome by spamming multiple vents and/or drums and/or pipes.

2 Likes

So the centrifuge used to hold lots of sluice juice, but now only holds 1000L. I didn’t catch that in the changelog, was that on purpose?

2 Likes

Because those two Recipes are a LOT cheaper, that’s why. You can still run those two Recipes at the same Rate as the Ore ones, but that would be wasteful.

From the Changelog:

Basic Machine Input Tanks now have Capacities based off the actual Recipe Inputs. That way a single huge Recipe wont mess up automation of the many smaller ones.

1 Like

I guess I didn’t quite understand that. Now that I think about it again, you mean the size of the tank changes depending on what recipe it is running? The centrifuge processes 100L at a time, so I guess it’s set to hold 10 batches worth? Or is it smaller than that, but with a 1000L minimum?

2 Likes

it has a 1000L Minimum. And it is based on the largest Input Size and how many Recipes it can run in parallel.

1 Like

What if it isn’t currently running a recipe? Like if it only has water and nothing else and so it can’t do anything with just that?

2 Likes

Uh what? I said largest Input Size, not Input Size of current Recipe.

1 Like

Ohh… I thought you already made the input size based off the largest recipe quite some time ago? Is there not a centrifuge recipe that needs at least 1000L of input fluid?

2 Likes

Largest Input Size PER FLUID TYPE, before it was the same for all Fluids, which caused Issues.

1 Like

I see. What if that fluid isn’t used in any recipe? Defaults to 1000L?

2 Likes

Then the Machine never accepted it in the first place? That did not change.

1 Like