GregTech-6 Main Thread

Tank extender (1 or more). If you have 3 boilers, feeding turbine, 1 pipe and 2 tank extenders will work.

3 Likes

Ahh, damn… seems it’s just the annoying fluid sloshing mechanics biting me in the ass again. The junction in the pipe seemed to be the problem. Replacing a segment of pipe at the junction with an extender, or wrapping the pipe around so there is no junction fixed it:

3 Likes

Yeah you need to make a symmetric Boiler Setup, which is especially hard if you are mixing different Boilers like this. Also is that Pipe actually good enough to transfer all the Steam you need?

2 Likes

Oh Greg, you harsh bastard! You made getting into the electrical age easier by not needing iridium for the T1 crystallization crucible and adding germanium chips, but harder by adding the cryo distillation tower to get the noble gasses instead of a centrifuge. At first I didn’t think that would be a big deal… just make a different main block and change the distillation tower over to cryo when needed and run an LV thermoelectric cooler. Just realized last night that the minimum input is 64 CU which means you have to have a maxed out MV cooler to power it, which takes 256 EU… so now I need 3 MV dynamos driven by steel turbines that each need 3 strong invar boilers to power for a total of 9 strong invar boilers. And have to run them for nearly an hour to get a full 1000L of the noble gasses. Ugh! The whole reason I wanted to finally make a battery box in the first place was to be able to do some acid washing without needing to be able to generate all that much power at once.

4 Likes

Dude just use Helium from Centrifuging Glowstone.

2 Likes

D’oh! I didn’t notice that. I guess I’m going to the nether then!

Hrm… it takes 140 RU, so a steel turbine won’t do. The steel gearbox says it can only take in up to 64, but I think I found a while back that transformers tooltips aren’t really right and they will take in 128 EU and step it up to 256 just fine, so I guess the same thing applies to gearboxes so I guess I need a steel gearbox and a second steel turbine.

3 Likes

OK, I can’t figure out how to use these transformer gearboxes. They don’t seem to work like regular transformers. The regular one only seems to have an axle on the front and back, so how are you supposed to split or combine RU with it?. The custom one seems to let you slap gears on any side you want, but I can’t get it to take in from two sides and put out on another.

3 Likes

The Custom one DOES let you combine Axles as long as the Rotation Direction is correct and the Speed Value matches.

2 Likes

Could you explain how? I’m trying to add 64 RU from an invar turbine plus 96 RU from a steel turbine to drive a steel centrifuge to get the helium out of the glowstone. Oh, poo… both turbines have to output the same RU don’t they? What use is the transformer gearbox then since it only has two working faces?

3 Likes

It turns Speed into Torque, so you can run multiple Machines from one large Axle. And you need more than 1 Torque to be able to split Power using the custom Gearbox.

2 Likes

I want to do the reverse: turn power from two turbines into one centrifuge, since otherwise it takes a titanium turbine ( or one of the magical metals, or the very rare chromium ) to get enough RU to centrifuge glowstone.

3 Likes
[CHANGED] Battery Boxes now only charge/discharge once per second instead of once per tick. Internal Capacity of the Boxes themselves has been adjusted for this change of Rate.

Say what now? The whole electrical system operates every tick, so how can a battery box output only once per second when the machine it is powering stops if it doesn’t get power every tick?

3 Likes

Look more closely at the wording of that. In case you didnt know, the Batteries are an entirely different Data Structure which can be quite laggy to access, unlike the Battery Box Storage itself, which is literally just a number.

As for merging two Axles, that is definitely possible with just one custom Gearbox and nothing else. At the very least for this particular Centrifuge case. Just remember to run two identical Speeds into the Box, and make sure the Clockwise/Counterclockwise rotation is correct.

1 Like

So you mean the battery box, and the rest of the power system operates every tick, but the transfers from batteries to the box itself are now only once per second? So the box itlself just has a larger capacitor?

Can you provide more details on how to do this, because I can’t make it work in creative. I was about to give up and just break down and make a chromium turbine.

2 Likes

Just use a Monkeywrench on the Turbines to change from clockwise to counterclockwise? Or use another custom Gearbox with 3 Gears to switch the Axle that way?

Are you making sure that none of the Gears is arranged in a frikkin triangle with the other two, causing them to not work due to laws of physics and geometry?

And yes the Battery Boxes have an internal capacitor as described in the changelog.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t realize you can use a money wrench to reverse the direction of a turbine. What do you mean by triangle with the other two? I tried reversing one turbine and when I install a gear on both turbine faces, it now tells me that they are not properly interlocked:

2 Likes

Yep you triangled the Gears.

1 Like

Umm… how the hell are you supposed to put three gears on without making a triangle? Also I thought the side with the axle wasn’t supposed to have a gear but when I added one to that side, it said they were interlocked properly, but it still didn’t rotate.

2 Likes

Try putting 4 gears at the horizontal sides of the gearbox, that’s a square. and the Axle connects to all Gears it goes through, but for practical reasons you cant have more than one Gear going onto the Axle, or else you would end up with a triangle again.

All Gears that are adjacent to the Gears on the other sides will connect to each other, so place the Gears in a way that they dont connect in a Triangle.

1 Like

OK, seriously… I have tried every possible permutation, including keeping all of the gears in the one box on the horizontal plane and using a second box to turn it upwards, and nothing works. Even when the gearbox says the gears are interlocked properly, it doesn’t work!

2 Likes