Which version of gregtech do you play most?

• gt5 or gt5U
  • gt6 or gt6U
  • gtce
  • gt4 or earlier version
  • Lightning Rod
  • other

0 voters

2 Likes

6 for me, considering 6U hasn’t been updating in more than four months and what little additions there have been weren’t really worth it the switch.

3 Likes

Plus if those additions are actually useful and worth it then a case could be made to just put it in GT6 straight instead, not like it’s dead or anything, lol.

3 Likes

It’s mostly a matter of them clashing with the main game, I haven’t really been keeping up with the changelogs (mostly because they’re also sort of hard to read because they only started differentiating between their additions and greg’s updates very late in the development) but right at the start there were some multiblock structures which did made sense, is what I’m taking about. Too bad that as far as I can see there’s several bad form additions, which are items AND several multiblock machines with absolutely no use, which were created entirely to support a minetweaked avaritia recipe for the GT6U modpack?
How do you even respond to something like that?
That’s terrible thinking on several levels. There’s an entire line of stem cells, cultures, machines to feed them, items, sterilizations and in-vitro processing and… it has absolutely no use in the main game. You just use them to craft the endgame avaritia/draconic evolution armor specifically related to the modpack. Honestly when I discovered that I was absolutely baffled.

3 Likes

I once hoped gt6U could free greg from maintaining gt6…

3 Likes

Little did you know, that actually bound me MORE to GT6! No seriously GT6 was rather inactive to me, and then GT6U happened and i had to stay up to date with that, giving me more motivation to even work on GT6.

6 Likes

I don’t know why you had to stay up to date with gt6U, but it appears gt6U’s progress are far behind gt6, maybe gt6U had to stay up to date with gt6 now.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t even be a separate GT6U, it should just be PR’s to GT6 itself or a standalone mod on GT6 for things that don’t really fit directly.

3 Likes

In fact ,every GT versions have different interesting things.
They even have three styles. That is why I like GT most.
As an Only-1.7.10 mod, it is valuable that GT6 is still keeping active. :smiley:

3 Likes

In my opinion,1.7.10 is an obstacle which prevent players from playing GregTech, so I hope someone can rewrite gt6 to higher version one day.

Anyway, GregTech has made an miracle in technology mods, but in a dying game

3 Likes

The problem with that train of thought is that it literally goes against itself.
Let’s analyze it.

The problem with version switching is that the codebase literally changes. The reason why greg and reika keep staying on 1.7 is because there is literally no other option, as huge code changes happen between versions. There is no other minecraft mod like them that has been updated for more than 6 years(!), and in fact, no mod at all that has been in development for that long, continuously, without a fork (change of dev[s]) or a large hiatus.
Even with all the time it took for the “big” mod version update from 1.7 to 1.12, gregtech 6 has been in continuous development between a nascent 1.7 and what is now 1.17. That is a fact.

Now we can clearly see that there is a circular problem here. Nobody will ever rewrite a proper port of GT6 to a higher version, because in 6 years time, people will tell you to stop updating for 1.17 (ew what an old version) and update to 1.30 minecraft++ xbonk limited platinum edition. Like you’re hoping exactly right now.
The whole point is that it’s a cyclic thing, really.
Also, good fricking luck finding someone willing to invest 6 years of his life in an open source project for his own enjoyment with the level of commitment Greg put into GT6 (looking very sternly at you, the mess that is GTCE) :laughing:

4 Likes

Ah, the backwards compatibility are really a sticky thing: Having it can make everything messy (Just look at C++) , otherwise it can make everything freezing.

2 Likes

Rusts’ design of being able to have backwards incompatible syntax changes every 3 years while keeping a compatible backend (so you can link code together that’s made with different versions without issue) is what C++ should have done from the beginning, especially with rust’s tool that can automatically migrate between versions (which is just the formatter!).

2 Likes