Thread for my GT6/NTM/Reika integration mod (need advice and such)

so i decided i’m finally gonna sit down and develop that GT6 addon i’ve always wanted to make, and the agenda of the day is as such:

• more Bumblebee types, to get a variety more like Forestry’s (having access to most vanilla resources, mod resources like isotopes from NTM, prominent GT6 materials, both raw and processed, and possibly stuff like ChromatiCraft worldgen resources if i can manage it) <— biggest thing i’d like to accomplish right now

• integration between GT6’s nuclear and NTM (gas centrifuging/SILEXing Naquadah, adding special NTM materials like Schrabidium and Euphemium to GT6’s material registry) <— second priority after i figure out custom Bumbles

if any of you have any pointers or advice, please post them here. if i need any help, or have any other ideas, i’ll be sure to post them in this thread. hope this is in the right category…

3 Likes

The gas centrifuge uses “pseudofluids” which are hardcoded enums that represent the intermediate centrifuge steps. I should probably make them extendable without tearing up the code, other than that there’s no actual way of adding recipes.

2 Likes

trying to tackle Bumblebees currently, as that’s what i wanted to do the most… so far i’ve just been recreating all of MultiItemBumbles and wondering if all of that is really necessary or if i’m stupid and i’m missing something obvious…

3 Likes

Yeah you need to recreate the whole damn thing because there is no default implementations in interfaces in the java version that one can expect people to have…

That and I did not put much thought into people actually using it all that much, so if you find bugs, please tell me so I can fix them.

Ah yes, because the Forge Fluid API surely would not have helped with that Issue… a lot of compat is nearly impossible thanks to that special system you got…

Also you say Reika integration, but good luck with that, she will so definitely do Anti-Integration with most Mods.

2 Likes

the integration i have in mind for Reika’s mods isn’t really anything serious; just planning on adding equivalent Bumblebee types for the bees Reika adds to Forestry, add RotaryCraft material bumbles, all with a few tweaks to make it more Greggy flavored… i’ve talked to Reika herself, and she has said as long as you don’t mess with the internals of her mods, you can do whatever the heck you please… as long as you make sure to note that your mod messes with the “intended game balance” or whatever.

anyways, how does the bumbleCombine piece of code work? this is the thing responsible for crossbreeding, right? basically just divides the species metadata by a certain number to find the types of Bumbles it wants, then tells it to make a new meta of bumble based on what it gets… is this correct?

2 Likes

The gas centrifuge is a jumbled mess of hardcoded special cases and enums, even if I did use Forge Fluids it wouldn’t be any less of a nightmare to add custom recipes to it.

A lot of potential fluid compat was consciously avoided because most of NTM’s fluid are entirely unique to NTM and wouldn’t be interchangeable anyway, and the ones which are either wouldn’t make sense (water is readily available everywhere and lava isn’t actually used in NTM except for making stone) or would lead to horrifying balancing issues (water to steam ratios don’t seem to be standardized between mods, neither is the energy requirement or yield, in the 1.12 ports which do use Forge Fluids, you could make 20x more energy out of a reactor simply by using IE’s steam turbine).

2 Likes

made progress on the Bumbles, got them to register separately from the stock GT6 bumbles… need to figure out how i would crossbreed my bumbles with the GT6 ones though. will do more tomorrow as it’s literally morning now, i stayed up all night.

3 Likes

planning on giving the combs GT6 centrifuge recipes AND NTM centrifuge recipes… will need to refresh myself on how to register NTM recipes from another mod!

3 Likes

The Maths part is just selecting which metadata to use. Basic division modulo stuff.

And when crossbreeding between different Bumbles, it will ask both the Princess and the Drone for what should come out, and have a 50:50 chance on picking which ones Bumble Species Crossbreeding Result to output. So you can even combine your Bumbles with mine for example.

1 “water” = 160 “steam” = 80 IC2 Energy Units = 320 RF = 32 Michael Jacksons. That is the actual Standard, lol.

2 Likes

As for the Comb Recipes, MultiItemFood should have the Combs in there somewhere including their Recipes, so you can see for balance there. ^^

1 Like

got any advice for accessing items from other mods? trying to figure out how you do it in GT6 but i’ve checked out the IL file and it doesn’t seem to be actually listing the real item names or anything anywhere…

2 Likes

it’s in LoaderItemList in gregapi though if you just need a function that does it, just look into ST.java for ST.make(…) which does grab Items from the Registry.

1 Like

you’ll have to forgive me as i’m absolutely horrid with math, especially mental math… but could you explain one of the bee breeding cases mathematically so i can get the general pattern down?

so far i’ve gleaned this:
it checks if the meta is divisible by ten, then checks for a bunch of other cases to find out if it’s divisible by some OTHER numbers… but what’s the logic behind this? wouldn’t referring to them by a string be easier than messing with division of the meta to try and figure out what bumbles you’re looking at?

2 Likes

Just chiming in to say that there is a modular addon that lets you add your own custom bumblebees and drops with json as part of a qwertech fork, you might just copy that wholesale and edit it to suit your addon.

2 Likes

well if i can add custom bumbles while not touching Java at all then what’s the point of writing this addon? now i don’t know WHAT to do

EDIT: might as well just scrap MY mod and use this QwerTech fork as a jumping off point!

2 Likes

Do that at your peril. The qwertech fork hasn’t updates in years, is custom, highly unstable and might not work after a few updates, period (just like mainline qwertech).
Also qwertech adds a bunch of stuff. And I do mean a lot. Even stuff that cannot be disabled.

2 Likes

finally finished the first round of bumble stuff, with the help of Greg and his infinite patience for my amateur coding skills… next up is the NTM-ification of Naquadah!

4 Likes

I loved what Qwertech brought to the table, I stopped using it because of how buggy it was.
If you are able to dissect it, patch it up and add configurations to turn features on and off that would be pretty neat. Bonus points for crafttweaker functionality.

2 Likes

I just liked the weapons. The double shotgun is my favorite. Zombies? This is DOOM. chik chik BOOM!

2 Likes

remind me what QwerTech actually DID? is there a list of features somewhere? may wanna steal ideas >:)

2 Likes