My computer died and corrupted my world, RIP

A moment of silence for spaghetti world.

Time to make another one!

2 Likes

Still a spot open on the server. ;]

3 Likes

R.I.P.

I had a similar experience when my MC crashed and some chunks got corrupted, I guess. I lowered chunk render distance to the minimum and just walked away from that place that caused the game to crash.

2 Likes

That’s a shame. Backups are important!

2 Likes

That was the moment I started to make backups.

2 Likes

I’ve been pretty successful server side with having the game run from SSD, and then triggering a 15 minute backup to the RAID array. Thus if the server every crashes, it auto-rolls back 15 minutes. I haven’t had a fully corrupted save in quite some time.

3 Likes

Losing is Fun!.. at least sometimes it is.

The more important Question is, how did you Computer die? Power Outage and the Savegame corrupted?

1 Like

My girlfriend sat on the power cord and I didn’t realized it unplugged my laptop lol

2 Likes

Uhm, the way Minecraft does rolling saves might end up causing you to have corrupt backups.

1 Like

Nope. I don’t use the Minecraft method. Cron job triggers to turn save off, rsync back to RAID, save on. If the SSD running files crash, they are overwritten on startup.

2 Likes

Ah right Servers can turn off Autosave, good that you thought of that. So your saves wont be corrupted THAT often. It can still happen for other reasons though so keep a few backups around.

1 Like

Of course! There’s a rolling snapshot on RAID (ZFS), plus the daily archive. I take data preservation very seriously.

2 Likes

Is there like a mod for doing backups that you guys recommend? Accidents happen!

2 Likes

I do it manually sometimes.

2 Likes

FTBLib can do autobackups. I keep trying to disable them! =]

2 Likes

Change your Minecraft Launcher Shortcut to automatically copy your Save Files to a Timestamped Backup Location of your choice. That way whenever you launch MC, you automatically backup your Saves!

2 Likes

That’s a good idea.

2 Likes

That sounds great! I’m not the most computer literate, how do I go about doing this?

2 Likes

Okay uhhh you use Windoofz right?

1 Like

I have no idea what that is.

2 Likes