MC 1.12.2 modpacks are way too buggy

I am seriously disappointed with most of the mods in MC 1.12.2. Pick your favorite mod or any very popular mod you can locate in the CurseForge listing.
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods
Click on your selected mod.
Click on files.
Scroll down through the history of versions released.
You will find more updates on most mods released for MC 1.12.2 than any other version of Minecraft.
As a result, I highly recommend you do NOT use this version of Minecraft.
I for one am tired of the crashy mod packs so I will not be using mod packs in Minecraft 1.12.2 ever again.

2 Likes

Updates aren’t bad if the mod is growing and bugs are getting fixed though.

3 Likes

1.12.2 has introduced a TON of Bugs, including vanilla Bugs, and Rewrites, that and the fact that CurseForge basically didnt really exist until 1.7.10 means that only 1.7.10 Mods and up are there. 1.8 and 1.10 and Stuff all quickly got ditched by most Modders because they were still redoing their Code while newer MC Updates came out regularily, so 1.7.10 (which is basically stable, and the reason why I am doing GT6 on it and not later Versions) and 1.12.2 (which is latest) are the only Versions worth doing Stuff with.

3 Likes

No you have just read the opposite of what was standing there. Not gonna do 1.12.2 ever.

2 Likes

I agree that 1.7.10 is more stable, but there is a also a counter argument to this. 1.12.2 is much more developer supported, and some of the forge hooks are a lot better. Forge for 1.13 is also being worked on, which is very exciting as it completely removes metadata and the blockID and itemID limit.

3 Likes

Just need someone to keep working on forge for 1.7.10. :wink:

2 Likes

Well if SOMEONE would do that SOMETHING, preferably the one who JUST suggested it in that post above. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Lol, that’s a world of pain I’m happy to be out of though… ^.^;

3 Likes

I have to disagree on supercoders part. “A lot more Coder Friendly Stuff was added”, that is partly true but also partly wrong.
For the reason yeah Shitty Capabilities, some more forge events that slow down the game even more, a “OnAdded To World” function for a TileEntity that is now a replacement for the “canUpdateFunction” that forces hacks to make sure your tileentity doesnt tick because its a interface check only now.
The ■■■■ use on json files that don’t allow to have memory opimization, and you have to implement your own model loader to actually have less memory usage.
The “Forge Models” that is not even compatible to “Vanilla Only” stuff where a couple mods have to be patched to make them selves compatible to vanilla.
The Actual good patches of vanilla that forge disables and causes users to have much more junk in the system.
And ofcourse the actual good features that nobody supports because they think its not good at all because a mod does it better. (Crafting Book in mc)

Yes it totally became more moddev friendy! but only if you have a existing engine that handles all the bullshit that exists in newer mc versions.
And only if you work against forge instead of using it.

2 Likes

Have fun requiring a workstation for a 1.13.2 pack then. Because unless you do happen to have a 32GB or larger system a beast pack that ran fine on 8GB is going to rack on 16GB or so in usage. UNLESS forge can mitigate the side effects of such version.

In my opinion no Minecraft version is “prefect”. Just to give some recent examples…

1.7.10 was the “golden days” since it’s was the last version to support an ocean of old favorites but it’s came at a cost on Linux based systems possibly causing CONSTANT Memory Leakages. So short of allowing Minecraft an insane amount of RAM good luck playing for more a few hours…

1.12.2 Gotten the most support due to the length of time Mojang+Microsoft took to release 1.13 at all. At the expense of junior based modpacks coming out due to most ID issues being a nonissue. Except if you load a few mods that demand quite a bit and/or load a LOT of mods.

And as I said not even 1.13.2 is “prefect” so much that I am going to wait at least 1.14 for updating my server to.

2 Likes

Memory Leakage on Linux Systems? I would know if that was the case since I do use Kubuntu and MC 1.7.10 with several Modpacks.

1 Like

Yes it’s a hit or miss bug apparently. As some linux/MAC users get it while others don’t.

2 Likes

Since there are very few people, who can spend more than a few hours on Minecraft, at one time, I would not consider this an issue.
Besides, I have never had troubles with MC 1.7.10, outside to the few vanilla bugs left behind, and some mods which either get deleted or corrected which ever is practical.
I use Ubuntu 16.04

2 Likes

Memory lackage on modpacks from curseforge is rather common if your PC has less than 4 GB RAM. Those people think ‘if I have a good PC, everybody has a one’. I have to download modpacks from Twitch App, then move them to the .minecraft folder, then throw out quarter of the mods(like those useless Decocraft, Hats and others, all shaders and resourcepacks. Then run minecraft from the launcher and finally play.

2 Likes

Ok first of all yes 1.13.2 is not a good update since they installed new systems which were not performance improved at all. I agree, but the memory requirements you suggest are not even closely representing what 1.13.2 will take. It will take the same amount of memory regarding active memory usage.

Since most of the actual memory usage comes from Models & Textures which by the way forge causes not Minecraft itself (because minecraft unloads the textures from ram while forge prevents that (see texfix mod).

On top of that 1.13.2 modding wont be such a huge thing, because it is like the 1.8 version or 1.9 because 1.14 is so close and besides some core engine rewrites it is not a lot different, these rewrites do not affect mods that deeply since its more the internal stuff that changes while the external stuff stays the same.

So expect 1.14 to perform better on low end machines / server compared to 1.7.10 or 1.12 especially since the light engine and a lot of other things got removed from the ServerLogic itself.

Yes 1.13.2 was a mess of a update but 1.14 is the long awaited cleanup on the game itself.
And i do not think that this is solving everything but it should improve performance drastically compared to 1.13 and a lot compared to 1.12 (or 1.7.10)

I mean in 1.13 was multithreaded worldgen added, and if mods can use that actually (and do not fuck that up) then expect things to run a lot faster on servers. Especially with the 1.14 cleanup

2 Likes

1.13.2 Are you kidding? I couldn’t run TerrafirmaPunk(1.7.10) without those Hats and Better foliage, resourcepacks and shaders. It was 1 FPS in a superflat world! What will be for 1.13+?

2 Likes

The render engine isnt much slower then before, a lot is pregenerated on startup and tries to just inject into the renderer when the chunks are build (a lot of mods though implement the old system).
So if the GPU was the bottleneck before or the CPU was then you may see tiny improvements or tiny decreases, but overall its almost the same.

2 Likes

Please consider MultiMC software.
https://multimc.org/
All Twitch modpacks are available in zip file from Curse Forge website.
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/modpacks
You can download the pack zip file and install it easily in MultiMC. It handles the format quite well.
In addition, MultiMC is the easiest way to edit any modpack to suit your needs.
MultiMC is multiPlatform capable, Minecraft does the rest for multiPlayer.

2 Likes

Okay then why are hosts recommending to double your RAM then on this version? Just to generate “fake news” to reel in upgrades?

1 Like

Have you maybe noticed that pack sizes grow? I remember times when you were called crazy if you had 50 mods installed. Anything like 20-30 mods being installed was called huge.

Nowdays you see modpacks that use 200 mods overall.

But the memory usage comes not from minecraft. Minecraft 1.13 uses 300-600MB of ram around the same that 1.12 uses.
The memory increase comes from LoadedTextures, and loaded Models, audio files, and barely from any systems within games.
So If we speak about “Adding More ram” needed to make 1.13 run. I will say yes this is FAKE NEWS.
As of this moment. That may change if mods start to import massive amounts of memory.

Minecraft itself will not cause more memory to be used. Actually they improved Systems to reduce Active Memory Usage by a lot.
Structures are no longer loaded permantly in memory, they load in as chunks load. (Yes thats a big memory usage)
Villages will be removed with 1.14, so the village bug will be fixed with it.
Chunks have now proper heightmaps that are improved in memory usage.
And a couple more.

So what serverowners suggest: Hey lets double memory usage because 1.13 is going to use more memory is clearly a fake news in the way it is explained.

The real news should be that ModDevs have more interactions, code quality is dropping, memory leaks/data pools are being used a lot more then before so we suggest if you play with a lot of mods you should increase your Ram just to be sure.

So this has nothing to do with “1.13”, if 1.12 exist long enough (Like 1.7.10 did) then memory usage on mods grow on its own because features get added.

Why do host suggest more RAM for users. Because the biggest amount of players just take a finished modpack and run with it. And modpacks go high in modcount, have a lot of active scripts and maybe also a lot of custom assets outside of what mods install.
So they want to be save and suggest how much ram should be used so you can be save.

It is the same reason my tool says you need at least 3-5GB of Ram on top of what the game takes to run the pregenerator because people will use most likely the biggest setting which caches a lot of data while the pregeneration takes around 1.5-2GB while it is running (without the cache).
Remember most of the users are plug and play users, they do not go into the matter, and they are not interested to go into it.
Why do you think a lot of big game server hosts have dedicated developers.

So TL:DR: Yes what they say is fake news because the growth in ram is not Minecrafts fault but the Mod Creators/Forges fault.

3 Likes