MC 1.12.2 modpacks are way too buggy

Yeah but it being Forges fault doesn’t change that it is getting worse and worse, every good thing Mojang does, might end up being fucked up by Forge in the end, and all good Modders pretty much left by now (when it comes to code), so there is next to almost only bad Modders left, heck even you kinda left MC by now, Speiger. :wink:

2 Likes

Talking from a 1.7.10 stand point but I think still applies:

I have ran a heavily modified version of Minecraft on various systems.
I play with a server so a lot of the overhead is offset onto another machine but I can say that while more ram helps (when you configure java to use more) the biggest culprit is your CPU/GFX combination. I have an older system with a 750gtx 250GB ssd and a socket 775 intel cpu and minecraft will run like hot butter, until I open a chest or some other task involving cpu cycles. That CPU grinds and churns frames into a stuttering mess.
Likewise I have a laptop with a an old radeon graphics chip, 1TB HDD, same ram amount, same java arguments but with an i5 cpu and Minecraft runs sluggish but steady in all cases.

Point being the ram didn’t make much difference other than allow for more mods.

2 Likes

Yea that particular one I was at was making seems like the GAME needed more RAM and not a general assumption of “lazy” server admins just needed a “blanket recommendation”.

Thanks for clearing that “fog” for me because that really unfortunate that seemly “trusted” provider would even do this to a game that they are having people trust.

Frankly it’s bad business not just because they are trying to effectively drain customers’ money but also putting false information about Mojang as well (saying the game is so non optimized that so much more RAM is recommended). And I bet you if enough damages are done Mojang wouldn’t be afraid to pursuit a suit for slandering their game title.

2 Likes

OK, I took 2 vanilla installs of Minecraft versions 1.12.2 and 1.13.2, for comparison.
Java uses 2.4 gb to run MC 1.12.2,
While Java uses 3.6 gb to run MC 1.13.2,
So, I can assume modded Minecraft version 1.13.2 will use more ram than other versions of Minecraft, depending on the mods used.
Java 8 on Linux Ubuntu 16.04.
cheers.

1 Like

I guess it just defaults to 4GB of RAM per default now for some reason. Java uses less than half a GB for 1.7.10 vanilla. 1GB for GT6.

1 Like

Yes this, don’t look at the RAM allocated to the Java session to see how much memory it is using, instead look in the JVM to see how much memory it has allocated and the high point of its actual allocation using the OS-allocated pool, don’t look at the OS-allocated pool itself as unused parts of this get paged out and don’t actually cost RAM anyway. Just the crappy way the JVM works. ^.^

2 Likes

Speiger Agrees!!

2 Likes

I disagree. Actual CPU RAM use numbers for Minecraft alone, yes OvermindDL1 is correct, but if Java tells me it is using more to process this software, than I need to make sure I have what Java needs not just Minecraft.

2 Likes

Uhhm Java needs only half a gigabyte to work, probably even less. Those 4GB of RAM are because people are kinda reckless when it comes to view distance, because Graphics are apparently not something one should downgrade.

1 Like

To clarify,
I use KSysGuard in Linux Ubuntu (also available in Kubuntu) to tell me which software is using what amount of memory.
It has been my experience, if Java total ram use tries to exceed what I have installed, the software malfunctions or crashes the entire computer.
Of course my current computer is far more powerful then that these days.
OvermindDL1’s description is the correct way to allocate ram in Java configs for best operation of Minecraft.
However, total java ram use is always more than the actual software, because like many have said Java sucks.

2 Likes