Is there any relatively new servers? If not can I make one

I have been playing a mod pack created by the bears den for the past couple weeks and Although I find myself very immersed, I also become overwhelmed by the amount that needs to be done. Unfortunately, My girlfriend is not into video games and says mine craft “hurts her eyes” so I can’t even get her on board in helping me out. so I was curious if I where to start a dedicated server With GT6 along with a few other mods would anyone be interested in tagging along? I can never reach incredibly far without burning out because I just feel like I built this cool factory but no one to show it to. I also would like to see how other people go about it. Just an Idea I am throwing out there if anyone was interested. If anyone is already hosting a server or something I don’t mind joining too.

5 Likes

Bump. Don’t know where to solicit server invites for gt6 but hella interested.

3 Likes

I would be interested as well!

3 Likes

What mod setup would people want on the server, aside from Gregtech of course?

2 Likes

I would like a mod pack centered on Gt6 of course with the addition of mods that can help to do what you can’t with gt (like automated wood farming). Then few utilities mod to add something like backpacks, tools to help you building and then computercraft or opencomputer. Having one of these 2 mods is a must for me.

3 Likes

OC is sooo much better than computercraft!

2 Likes

I know, many people told me that but i never relly got into it as i always played packs in which OC was insanely gated :sweat_smile: I gues i sould explore it more

3 Likes

OC is better but harder to get a rig set up and powered. (when you play with power requirements)
CC is unrealistic in my eyes as you make a computer by throwing magic dust in a stone box, however that’s fine if you just want to code in minecraft.

I run with and will be using OpenComputers.

EDIT -
By unrealistic I mean this makes getting a computer too easy for the sort of tier progression I aim for in minecraft.

2 Likes

Yeah CC could have at least thrown some iron and gold in the recipe along with the Redstone. It’s not that hard to get those in the game, but Stone + Redstone is just wtf.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s true, it is super easy to craft computers in CC but you have to consider that you need a lot of time to write complex code. And I love to do crazy stuff! I still remember when I was messing around with CC and open peripheral in a server several years ago: I wrote a code that played the creeper hiss sound and then an explosion that was audible by everyone in the server at random intervals. Ahah it was so much fun to see the reactions. (By the way greg, would it be possible to add a little bit of compatibility with openperipheral? I tested your tanks/drums with it and I can correctly read the liquid amount and ID but for example it is impossible to read the temp of a thermometer. I would really like to be able to automate a crucible with computers!)

For me you compensate the easiness of the recipes with the time needed to code. So I dont really see the necessity to have complex recipes for computers.

4 Likes

I like the idea of using a computer to automate a crucible, feels like it really benefits the modular style of gregtech machines.

As for the simplicity of computer construction, it isn’t so much the complexity of the recipe (though I do enjoy fabricating parts and putting them together) its more to do with when you are able to build one. It feels odd sitting in a cave with a computer humming next to you, especially with gregtech’s trip through the bronze and steam type tiers.

4 Likes

That it’s really easy to fix. For example I play bear adventure pack and he modified the recipe to use a circuit instead of redstone dust. It is not as much work as assembling a OC computer but you can’t have a PC until you hit the early electric age.

But even the vanilla OC recipes are just a bunch of gold, iron and redstone. If you really wand a OC computer you can get it in the first ours of the game.

4 Likes

True, with a circuit you’re going to need rubber sheets so that’ll set you back some time, but thats still just a thing in a stone box.

Also I think it’s possible to find them in chests and scrapboxes etc, so given the amount of control a computer can bring I feel it shouldn’t be as simple as finding a circuit and hey presto.
And before you say it, yes you could modify the recipe further, but then it sort of defeats the purpose of using CC over OC. :sweat_smile:

Given that you would be working alongside others I’m sure some fanatic would have hand me downs they could trade for you to set up your own. :grin:

EDIT
I’m thinking of IC2’s circuits but if you mean another the same idea applies.

4 Likes

I was actually talking about Gt6 circuits. They are much more difficult to craft. And actually the recipe make sense like this becouse you can consider the circuit as the electronic part of the pc and the stone as the case

4 Likes

Yes its possible to Computer Control GT6 Stuff, considering everything can be Redstone Controlled. And every Computer Mod out there can handle Redstone. :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t consider the OP’ness of CC to be its recipe actually, I just consider its recipe to be horribly balanced is all. ^.^

What I consider about CC to be OP is the fact that it can do everything immediately, with a single recipe you go from being able to do basic redstone automation in-world to suddenly having a single magical box that can automate everything everywhere instantly (if you know how to use it).

OP on the other hand is more like real computers, the fun is in the building, adding RAM, storage to hold data, wiring for networks, routers to route the data packets, etc… It’s amazing and fun and so well designed! ^.^

And of course the nanites are fun to kill yourself with, lol.

4 Likes

Yes I know and i will do that at some point. But reading directly the temp (or other info) would be much easier. Right know there is no way to know the temp (or the weight) of the crucible at any given time using computers.

Right now you can only use the redstone signal of the thermo/weight meter.

My point is that since you need at least 1/2 thermo and 1 weight-o-meter, you only have 1 or 2 sides for output. This means that with most alloys that produce more than 2 ingots worth of materials your crucible will eventually overheat because you can’t output fast enough. Specially for high temp alloys.

I know only 2 solution for this.
Either you use a heater or that thing to cool down molds, but at that point of the game you could just use a smelter, or you use molds that take more than 1 ingot (for example I use a gear for bronze since the recipe output 4 ingots), but this require extra work to convert everything in rods/plates.

The output problem makes everything more difficult.

Theoretically you could use 1 crucible for all alloys but since they are quite slow and you should change settings every time, you would like to have more than 1 and that is really a lot of work.

A very easy fix to this would be something similar to an extender where to put your sensors and so having more sides for output, or adding something similar to a thinkers’ construct casting channel to use more than 1 mold per side.

Maybe im pretendig to much :joy:

I think we should open a dedicated 3d for crucible automation

4 Likes

Can you attach a pipe and run off the molten metal to multiple molds? I feel this should be a thing if you can’t.

EDIT

Thinking about it this wouldn’t work, the minute a material goes molten it would run down the pipe, you wouldn’t be able to create any alloys. You would need some sort of pipe valve attachment.

4 Likes

I already tried pipes don’t work with crucibles

4 Likes

Shutters?

2 Likes