How to get better fuel?

I made a simple mineral automatic processing system, and I am going to make a processing facility for the development of Tech. But I thought it was unreasonable to run all those facilities with coal, and I still have a long way to go to diesel. So we’re looking for a way to put less efficiency. Is there a difference in combustion efficiency or time between crushed coal and coal? For your information, it’s anthracite.Or is there a better way?

I’m very sorry for the lack of legibility by using the translator

2 Likes

For me first source of energy is coal coke. You can take simple coal and cooked it in oven of RailCraft. 1 coal coke have energy as 4 simple coal + you will have creosote oil. I used to use creosote oil for produce distillitation water for steam tanks.

3 Likes

First make Coal into Coal Coke, then make it into Dust using the Shredder, then using a Fluidized Burning Box to burn said Coal Coke Dust. That is the most efficient way.

Burn Values of most things, including Coal, depend purely on the amount of Material they contain, so crushed Coal has a slightly longer burn time than regular Coal “Gems”, washing the crushed Coal will further increase its burn value as well.

If you want a shorter burn time, turn the Coal or Coke into “Ingots” on the Crafting Table and from there turn it into Nuggets, so that you can more easily shut off the Burning Box.

2 Likes

Don’t forget, if you dig to bedrock you can find fuel sources like lava springs (heat exchanger) and natural gas deposits (gas burning boxes). Coal and other coal derivatives are early game.

If you find a way to automate farming, you could also potentially run engines from Ethanol. I had a whole base once that ran on huge automated pumpkin farms, making pumpkin juice, and fermenting it to ethanol.

Or if you’re into fuel you can drink too, raise mass quantities of potatos and make vodka. It also runs engines.

2 Likes

I disagree that coal is earlygame. One mining expedition with several stacks of dynamite and it will last… a while. The only problem with getting dynamite is that it involves biomass. That’s either farming, or auto-farming or spending much gold for Notch apples (their fermented juice gives much biomass).

3 Likes

Charcoal is earlygame too however, you could use that, though it requires more player interaction to actually do.

2 Likes

I get unlimited gunpowder. Boom sticks are great.

Mob grinder moat in a magical biome full of witches. Gunpowder, redstone, and glowstone in bulk.

2 Likes

With automated farming (using another mod such as Forestry), Willow and Fluidized Bed, I think Charcoal is actually quite viable as a late-game fuel.

2 Likes

I have a Botania tree farm hooked up to a GT coke oven making massive amounts of charcoal. I have over 200k wood and 260k charcoal atm. Crazy effective. I had to trash the creosote.

3 Likes

Lignite Coal produces Creosote Oil in the coke oven, I like using both the oil and the processed coal as my early game stuff.

3 Likes

Oh, and always found this thread helpful.

2 Likes

I tend to use Coke for Boilers and Creosote Oil for Extruders and small Crucibles, since the later uses less fuel and benefits more from instant switching.
That said, Creosote Oil has such low burning value, making it not particularly useful as a fuel. If only it can be Catalytic Cracked…

3 Likes

Treated Wood is very cheap and can be used for Water Pipes. However the major downside I find is its flammability excluding its use anywhere near Burning Boxes, including Distilled Water supply for Boilers of course.

With the vast reserves of (Anthracite) Coal, Lignite and even Peat, I think none of these can have a shortage before late-game. Thus I tend to use Coal Coke for its better burning value, while Lignite serves as a source of Germanium if you want to go for higher tier Solar Panels.

2 Likes

An easy pipe fix is to use bronze or copper pipes around the flames and then switch to wood where there is none.

3 Likes

Treated wood is still flammable?

1 Like

Treated with oil, not with fireproof wax.

2 Likes

Yes it is. The treatment increases fluid throughput and enables it to be used for Fluid Tanks, but it’s still flammable (including Pipes and Tanks). Seems that the treatment is for waterproof instead of fireproof.

2 Likes

Yep. I just find it troubling to determine where the fire hazard stops.

So with fireproof wax, is there fireproof Wooden Pipes?

2 Likes

No, there is no Fireproof Wood Pipes, and honestly, why would you need that? Dont you have better Materials by then, like Rubber? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I went on a long voyage searching for Rubber Trees, only finding some after several thousands blocks of distance. It’s somewhat harder to get than Wood, although it’s definitely needed sooner or later.
Would rather mass produce Galvanized Steel for Pipes and so on. From midgame I began to use Galvanized Steel for Pipes, Chests, Tools, etc. They have modest stats and look nice and shiny. Had to be careful to do Molten Zinc coating after metal forming, though.

2 Likes