HBM coke variants

You basically stole the IC2 way by putting it into the world sans-GUI, which is far better, and more configurable, lol. Erik’s changes were awesome though and really elevated them!

1 Like

My exposure to GT6 fission reactors is as in-depth as putting down some 2x2 reactor blocks, putting random rods in and out, then banging one of the rods against the block like a caveman and finally moving on to flamethrower some villagers.

On a more serious note, from what I’ve seen on the reactor rework thread those blocks have coolant flowing through them, so I’d assume you pull the hot coolant through a heat exchanger and then pipe that heat either into a boiler for steam or some other heat-accepting machine. Thinking about it, you do make a good point about powering the oven in your kitchen with a nuclear reactor’s heat. NTM has a similar machine that does all of that in a single block but that’s kinda lame.

2 Likes

Yep, always more fun if you can LEGO the Power Sources together with the Power Machines and end up with weird Combos like a Nuclear Furnace as long as you put some Adapters inbetween.

2 Likes

In general yeah. Like a basic distilled water one has you feed water into it and you get steam out (or use some form of doped water or heavy water or so and get high pressure steam out, not usable as normal steam but holds a lot more heat), or you can put a salt slurry into it and you get molten salt out or a variety of other fluids, some of which may be useful on their own for various purposes.

But once you get the fluid out (and different fluids have different aspects of them, like some may moderate and some may not, etc… they all differ) if you aren’t using it for some other purpose you can send it to a heat exchanger, which takes the ‘hot’ fluid and puts back out the cold fluid, but that then gives you heat on its main face, which you can sit a crucible on if you want for example as a nuclear powered crucible (that will likely melt quickly unless you throttle the reaction well, lol). Or you can put the heat into whatever can take in heat (HU is the GT6 heat units, another of the many many energy units of GT6), like a boiler to make steam out of (like in large quantities). Etc… It’s lot of little pieces that you hook up however you want to accomplish whatever tasks, rather than lots of specialized magic blocks.

The fluid you feed in to the reactor, the types of rods you put in, what’s around it, etc… etc… all changes how it acts and how it puts out neutrons and how they generate heat or whatever. So to make a breeding reactor you set up up in such a way, like to run hot and fast an inefficiently, or you might make a reactor that is larger and cooler and self moderating to generate a lot of power for literally weeks at a time, etc… It’s all in how you build it.

2 Likes

Also, note how I mentioned GT6’s various energy units. Technically GT6 really only has one Energy System, which is made up of basically two values, the ‘size’ of the energy, and how many of the ‘pulses’ at that size of the energy (per tick).

Everything is in that energy system. Like you have:

• HU: Heat Unit, like a heater might burn coal to put out 16 HU/t, meaning it puts out a single ‘blast’/packet of size 16 of type HU out to its top face, and whatever is on top (if anything) consumes it to do whatever. HU doesn’t really have a “wire” block as of yet (much as a few of us keep saying that GT6 needs heat pipes like in real life, lol).
  • RU: Rotation(Rotating?Rotational?Etc) Units, like a turning axle, the axle is basically the ‘wire’, transferring the packets of whatever size down to whatever receives it on the other end. This is why there’s no “backpressure” like there is in real life axle systems, it’s fairly simplistic.
  • KU: Kinetic Units, like think pressure, or a hammer slamming down on something, like hydraulics in general is KU. I don’t think it has a “wire” either, though pipes transferring hydraulic pressure could make sense?
  • EU: Electricity, etc… Normal metal wires
  • LU: Light, distinct from heat, optical cables are its wires.
  • QU: Quantum, used for mainly UUM
  • Probably a few others I’m forgetting.

Basically various things run off a certain type of energy, and you produce a certain type of energy, and you’ll have a block or 4 converting between them. Something super common is trying to convert whatever you get to make steam, to send down pipes, to convert back to whatever else to drive something, as ‘steam’ has a fairly low loss compared to, say, EU, though EU is far more convenient so higher tier bases tend to use it just because of convenience even though steam is often more efficient (plus you can send a lot more ‘power’ down EU wires in large packets then you can steam through pipes).

This is why GT6 is an infrastructure mod, basically everything is just some pretty veneer on top of transforming types of energy between each other. :slight_smile:

And yes, from a code-side the GT6 energy is a single interface, not one per ‘type’, rather you just call or get called for a ‘packet’ of energy containing the type the size of that packet.

2 Likes

Uhh I was going through this Thread again since it was not marked as done, and I am pretty sure the original Coke Issue got solved, right?.. oh wait no it did not really. I need to actually do something about that Infernal Coal so my Stuff actually outputs 3 Coal Dust from it and stuff, and similar things. Time for me to work on that then!

And done. ^^

2 Likes

Necroing this thread just to say, yeah it’s possible now!

And if you think regular coolant is not exciting enough, try Mug Root Beer:

(science is not about the “why”, but the “why not”)

2 Likes

What is next? Using Cola as a Power Source like Franky in One Piece? XD

2 Likes