HBM coke variants

it’d be nice if we could get a HE-GTEU direct converter, because i use an RBMK for like all of my power…

2 Likes

HeatExchanger->Steam->SteamTurbine?

1 Like

What do you mean by “HeatExchanger” in this case?

2 Likes

RBMK is a fission reactor, thus a heat exchanger to get the heat out of the fission system, to heat water to supply steam to a turbine? Heat exchanger is just the first step after fission blocks.

1 Like

Yes… But these are different mods. GT6 heat exchanger can’t accept anything from HBM nuclear tech mod (to my knowledge).

2 Likes

Oh right you mean HBM. How does HBM output heat as that’s the only output of a fission reactor in real life? Or is it some magic mod and not a tech mod?

1 Like

HBM has many reactors, and I didn’t really try any. I played with oil.

2 Likes

Ah does it do fusion reactors as well? Or how do its reactors work? What is meant by ‘many reactors’?

1 Like

Hmm… Zirnox, RBMK, research reactor, breeder, chicago pile (no power output), watz, fusion, fusionary watz(?), …

2 Likes

Uhhhh, zirnow/rbmk/breeder/etc/etc/etc are all just fission set up with different styles and such, how are those “different reactors”?

EDIT: Or does HBM have different magical blocks for different styles instead of letting the player themselves set it up as they wish?

1 Like

It’s more like different reactor systems.

2 Likes

The ZIRNOX and research reactors are both single things you place down (although multiblocks) that accept different fuel rods and radiation sources in a grid. Research reactors are just fancy radiation sources for breeding reactors (the process is not entirely realistic since the conversion using neutrons is way too clean but if you wanted realism you’d stick to RBMK fuel recycling).

The ZIRNOX (inspired by real life MAGNOX reactors but using zirconium instead of magnesium because I really didn’t feel like adding an entirely new element just for one reactor) is gas-cooled with a similar fuel pattern as the research reactor which turns regular water into super dense steam (i.e. double compressed so you need three turbines to fully decompress it, I believe IC2 has a similar system where you could double stack turbines).

The fusion reactor is also a fixed structure similar in operation as the ZIRNOX (but instead of using nuclear fuel it needs a separate plasma heater that injects the desired fuel type), creating triple compressed steam.

The RBMK (probably a fan favorite at this point) is made up of many smaller pillar-like parts that you can arrange in different ways to fully customize the size, power and purpose of your reactor. There are some parts that you usually wouldn’t see in a real RBMK (like dedicated boilers or evaporation-cooling elements) but those are purely optional. While I haven’t played with GT6’s reactors too much but I think in general design they are somewhat comparable.

There’s also a generic “large nuclear reactor” which can be expanded upwards in size but honestly the thing sucks in almost all aspects, it can deplete fuel really fast I guess but that’s about it.

Steam goes directly out of the reactor core into turbines, there’s no coolant cycles or heat exchangers, mostly because I never had the time to add them and I don’t feel like adding this extra step that doesn’t really add anything functionally (also because I find the idea of having radioactive steam pouring through your turbines mildly humorous). After steam is fully decompressed, it can be piped into either a compact condenser or a cooling tower to turn it back into water, allowing you to close the reactor’s water cycle.

3 Likes

Aww, so no way to get the heat? Only steam? But what about a nuclear reactor powered steel smeltery like you can do in GT6. ^.^

3 Likes

Well I was thinking about adding heat as a sort of transferable thing like how nuclear reactors work in factorio. Mainly for some more universal burning box style generators because honestly earlygame power generation sucks right now. Don’t know if I would retrofit any of the reactors though.

2 Likes

Have you seen how GT6’s fission setups work?

1 Like

May I remind you i basically stole the IC2 way of them, and then Erik made some Breeder Reactors and stuff?

1 Like