Features that definitely need to be in GT6 before I start my own Game

Well both, Minecraft isn’t worth it anymore for me. That’s why I’m making my own Game that is better than Minecraft. ^^

There will still be Bugfix Updates when seriously needed, and I already started preparing a GitHub Repo for GT6, since the Selfhosted Gitea Repo was a dumb Idea.

5 Likes

I am actually interested: Why? Because I hated SevTech’s early game precisely for not using GUIs when a GUI could’ve been a lot more intuitive. I will quote keybounce on this as it pretty much sums up why I don’t like them at all (the quote is an analogy on SevTech’s crafting stumps explaining why it’s unintuitive and not immersive at all; basically no-GUI crafting tables):

Go to a kitchen counter (you can do this as a thought experiment if you want), and clear a meter square surface. Use some tissue paper (or toilet paper), and divide it into 1’ x 1’ squares. Stand in front of it. Now, keeping your eyes straightforward, move your neck to where you are looking around at all 9 spaces. Notice how much head movement you have, notice how much work is involved.

Now, just look at the whole table, and move your hand around all 9 spaces. Notice how much easier it is?

4 Likes

It is more specifically GUIs like the ones in Minecraft, where a single purpose thing has a 1 Slot GUI that adds more steps to the process than just rightclicking it with the Item I have in my hand anyways.

So instead of 1 click, most operations in a GUI are 3 clicks and 3 Keypresses at minimum. You can probably understand why I dont like GUIs in Minecraft for simple things that dont actually need them.

With my Game I will do something better than that though, likely just “hit context menu key while pointing at thing” -> “open GUI that asks what you wanna process, with a filter to only show things you have in inventory” or “open a GUI with the Recipes you can use with your current Items”. There will be much more variety in accessing Machines and such.

5 Likes

Yeah I can see that. I just don’t want to memorize too much. I like having no GUI when the operation is rather simple (hence why I have no problem with your burning boxes) but I’d probably not like it when something like TFC’s anvil or Avaritia’s 9x9 crafting table had no GUI.

5 Likes

I hate the QwerTech Crafting Table too, dont worry. XD

Yeah simple = no GUI, but if it is complicated then ofcourse a GUI has to be there.

6 Likes

Speaking of GUI, GT6 has two unused GUIs: calciner and cooker. Did you give them up?

4 Likes

Yeah I did. First I thought they were a good Idea, and the Cooker probably was (would have been a Cooking Pot), but later I realized that the Recipe System for the Cooker would not have been that straightforward, and the Calciner, just like the Foamer, would not have had good enough general uses.

5 Likes

And the assembly machine; it wasn’t added
I remember that you said that you would move the circuit board synthesis into the assembly machine

4 Likes

Yeah that too. A lot of things ended up a bit abandoned. I tried to at least leave something good enough behind. ^^

3 Likes