Devouring Darkness: Discussion thread

Recent happenings!

I used Botania and dispensers to create a small automatic farm for vanilla crops. Still no solution to right clicking Pam’s crops other than Opencomputers late game.

I also created a Botania powered tree farm. The piston moves the dirt out of the way before the mana spreader with a Bore lens breaks the tree blocks.

I have created power! I have always on 128 RU/t from natural gas and water. I’m in the process of building out my machine shop.

My small autosmelter has proven quite useful. It just smelts into molds and the results are collected.

The Railcraft alloy smelter has been busy day and night on making bronze!

Amber tipped steel pickaxe means I can now silk touch ores when mining. I have plenty of gunpowder from the Witches in my biome, so I have plenty of boom sticks to use on the ore when I bring them home. Fortune 3 on exploding, and another 2x in the crusher. That’s awesome ore bonuses.

2 Likes

Also added a redstone drawbridge to my fortress.

3 Likes

Looks evil and cool, I like it!

3 Likes

I broke down and relied on my prior moat designs to make a safe base.

I have a two block thick wall, with a water source block against the wall. The thick wall prevents accidental teleporting of mobs (ie: zombie damage summon reinforcements). The water pushes the mobs away from the wall.

Where the water ends 10 blocks away, I have a drop into a 4 block deep moat. This is hard to climb out of! Hence the drawbridge.

I have a series of signs and water source blocks to make a water conveyor. This pushes the mobs around my base to the north side where I have a mob grinder.

Mobs fall into the grinder into a water trap with source blocks at the top and nothing below, creating a downward suction. If they don’t suffocate, they are also standing on GT copper spikes. The core of the grinder is made from Red Granite Bricks to prevent explosions, which the water also helps with.

I have a vacuum hopper on the diagonal, pulling the loot from the grinder chamber. This is stored in a series of GT item barrels for compression. Because I settled in a Mystic Forest, Witches are more common than zombies. Thus I get a ton of:

• Redstone
  • Glowstone
  • Gunpowder
  • Bones
  • Health potions
  • Spider eyes
  • Sticks

and more. The important part is the unlimited redstone, glowstone, and gunpowder. I’m addicted to boom stick mining.

2 Likes

Botania has some real quality of life impact.

The Sojourner’s Sash is a great early game speed boost and auto-stepper.

The Manasteel tools are fairly cheap (iron tier), and auto repair. I have shears and a bow made from them.

Finally I have a Ring of the Mantle, which gives me Haste 2 while mining. I’m still spamming Black Granite picks!

I have a Band of Mana to power these toys, and a Band of Aura to recharge the mana (slowly).

2 Likes

The Iron Backpacks mod has a GREAT feature with backpacks! You can craft a backpack from a chest and leather, and then WEAR IT. It’s always just one hotkey away and is a great place to stash your GT tools.

Upgrades are available to Iron and Gold tier using ingots and blocks.

I keep a ton of useful stuff in mine, including a bottle of milk and a jug of 8x health potions.

Due to the need to have many different food items, I also keep a leather bag on my hotbar full of sandwitches, eggplant, pizza, and other foods. There’s a lunchbag and a lunchbox from Hunger Overhaul which holds less and you can eat directly from it, but I prefer to have the variety and extra food available.

EDIT: The Openblocks Graves which protect your items when you die also include the backpack!

2 Likes

Today, I started up a Buildcraft Quarry to dig out the rest of my base to bedrock!

I’m powering it from GT RU → KU → RF.

2 Likes

That’s a loooong axle.

3 Likes

Lol why do you have this? I must know what it powers

2 Likes

That’s running across the base and then down to the quarry.

3 Likes

The quarry finished. Now I get to refurbish the pit!

EDIT: Better angle.

2 Likes

interesting way to have bridges over your quarry hole XD

1 Like

It was FULL of water. I had to build bridges to use a sponge to kill the source blocks. Half of it was poison water from my biome, it really hurt.

2 Likes

So you did not want to use a GT6 Rotational Pump to get rid of the Water?

1 Like

I used a sponge.

2 Likes

Greg: I made you Rotational Pump :pleading_face: :point_right: :point_left:

Demo: WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA

4 Likes

Oh are you that far into the Game already after your Save corrupted? ^^

2 Likes

Not yet, I’m still setting up the first tier of ore processing.

2 Likes

At last! Black granite walls on each side, and a floor layer on the bedrock. 3x3 chunks secured. Now to build floors in between.

3 Likes

Rainbow slide being installed!

3 Likes