Devouring Darkness 2 - Discussion Thread

Questions? Comments? Fun stuff? Zombie face eating selfies? Post them!

3 Likes

Continuing the discussing on spawn base, how should I build the defenses so that the mobs cannot get into the spawn base area via river? Or should I build the wall over the river?

3 Likes

I mean, that is a good point. Walls over water is hard.

I’m not really sure. You might be able to flatten and deforest adjacent to spawn on the hillside, and wall that up linked to the platform.

Spawn base is public, and anything you do to improve it is certainly welcome. Give it a whirl!

My original plan was completed. I made a floating platform for crops, using an underwater entrance tower. That’s a fairly safe design for early game.

If there’s a bucket, there’s a modified land based tower you could try. Let me find my pictures.

3 Likes

https://imgur.com/a/sad-zombie-land-test-base-AwCLQ2N

This gallery has the test tower base from a few modpacks ago, when the monsters were even more aggressive.

The key is the central pillar is surrounded by a moat, and you have to jump and climb the ladder up.

3 Likes

hummm, I won’t want to ruin the river, so I may build an alternate entrance in the berry and trees area, which I should be able to wall in easily.
The main problem with the current entrance is that often mobs will just “camp” the door and you cannot enter easily, so I just have to add an entrance in a “safezone”

3 Likes

I solved that by jumping off the platform to lure them away in the morning. They’ll often despawn by the time I come back and need to get in the door that evening.

3 Likes

I dig tunnels everywhere to connect to resources, and I will use rivers and lakes to make underwater safehouses. I always make them 3 water blocks or more deep, marked with a jack o lantern and with a jaded ladder trapdoor.

Just saying that water based security shouldn’t be ignored. ;]

You could likely put an underwater alternative entrace downstream a distance.

3 Likes

At my new base, I’m using a different fortress design. Historically I’ve used a tall wall with an overhang, over a water moat. I’d use a push moat to keep mobs away from the wall, and dump them into a trough at the edges. I even made a water conveyor to move them all into a mob grinder. Living in a magical forest biome, I had unlimited sugar, redstone and glowstone from all the witches.

This time I’ve got a tall wall, but instead of a moat I’m just using a wall of water tight against the overhang. I’m not trying to mob grind, just prevent creeper explosions.

I’ve also got water traps which allow me to have a relatively normal front door.

3 Likes

Right! I have built a tier 2 OpenComputer Computer, and been able to query the temperature of a crucible! I’m pumped to convert my smelter to be computer controlled and filled.

I think I’m going to power it with: SHEEP!

3 Likes

I feel silly. I have always made steel picks tipped with amber to get silk touch.

Tonight I discovered I can melt amber and pour pickaxe heads. Meaning I can use chipped amber and dust! OMFG.

Now I can start mining with silk touch, and then use boom sticks to increase my ore yield. Now to setup a crusher.

4 Likes

Finally! Real food! (image is not in order)

2 Likes

BTW spawn base wall is now growing, I hope a wall like this can prevent mobs and they can’t parkour over some sections. I plan to wall along the river bank, but I’ll have to deal with the sugar cane then. I also need to find a way to make entrances on the wall, which will most likely be drowning traps. We’ll see.

(also I added a second bamboo farm for the wall)

2 Likes

Just a warning about “dry” walls.

If monsters line up outside and cluster, often times they will start to fight each other. This leads creepers to explode. That will break walls made of weak materials. Imagine creepers are sappers, they bring down walls.

Water doesn’t stop creeper damage to players and monsters, but it prevents block breakage. That’s why I always have a “wet” wall. I want monsters to at least stand in water so creepers don’t blow a hole in them.

Making walls out of red or black granite, kimberlite, and komatite should be strong enough, but don’t forget the ground just outside the wall.

One other thing I’ve done in the past is make a “push” wall. I can’t find my screenshot, but imagine where I had a flat area and made a large 1 tall square. On the outside of the square, I place a water source at routine intervals. This just makes a water slope away from the 1 tall wall for 10 blocks. This is nearly impervious to monsters. When they walk into the water, they immediate start to swim. They can’t overcome the current quickly, and almost never reach the square. They can’t jump while swimming, creepers don’t damage blocks when in the water, etc. It doesn’t kill anything, just pushes them away constantly.

So you can build a short wall out of weak blocks if you place water outside to push away mobs.

3 Likes

Ok, I may play around with wall designs in creative.

1 Like

Ok, so here are some tips for defense.

First up, water blocks push monsters away. Some mobs with speed boots can approach the wall, and may hop up. But a 2 tall wall they can’t jump. This can be very effective early game, but unnerving and not foolproof. Spiders, mounted monsters, and giant monsters throwing baby ones are all still a threat.

This is the wall I’m using currently at my fort. It places the water source under a lip at the top, so a flat sheet of water covers the wall. It does drown some monsters that try to approach, they swim to the top and drown.

Side view cutaway:

My last fort had a wall with a lip, and a full line of water sources at the base. Where the water ends, I dug a pit. This example doesn’t do anything with the pit.

I eventually lined the pit with hard stone (black granite brick), and then setup a water conveyor with signs to push monsters around my base to a mob grinder on one corner. The pit means anything that jumps across is pushed back, and then falls. This was extremely effective.

Finally consider that any time a monster gets wet, it’s first priority is to swim. It can attack, but if it falls deeper it will swim back up before attacking again. This means that deep water is a trivial one way medium. The player can always choose to swim downward, but monsters will always swim up.

Effective safe houses and hidey holes can be made in lakes and rivers 3 blocks down. I always mark them with a jack’o lantern, and place a jaded door (trapdoor + ladder) and a downward ladder into a small saferoom. The mobs cannot reach you there. If they spawn and swim to your door, you can dig away and come up outside the water, or hack at their feet from below if you are brave.

2 Likes

OMG I got jumpscared. I login next to my boilers, and there’s an Ender Creeper.

I ran away. No chain explosions, please!

3 Likes

Ok, turns out that Biomes 'o plenty bamboo is totally OP.

Grows fast as hell. Great yield. Only needs a piston and block placer to automate.

Provides sticks and furnace fuel. Bamboo sticks can be crafted into wood planks and ground to dust to make paper.

Finally they can be put thru the coke oven to make charcoal. OMFG.

I’m going to power my base off bamboo.

3 Likes

Remember, all the burnable Fuels are supposed to have one aspect that makes them seemingly OP.

The Coal and Oil Shale underground give you so much Fuel from mining that that part could be OP, not to mention Oil Shale in a Coke Oven does give you regular Oil. Sure it will run out eventually and requires you to go waste your time mining it, but it is a damn good early Power Source.

Many Mods have Tree Farms, so Charcoal is quite normal too, so this Bamboo thing basically means the Mod has a “Tree Farm” that you can build with vanilla Stuff.

Oil and Natural Gas are also quite powerful and Infinite, same for Hot Spring Water and Lava, but once you reach the cap of their Output, suddenly you need to look for new sources of Power instead of upscaling your Tree Farm.

3 Likes

Yep. I’m well aware. I like that. It looks like alot until suddenly, you realize GT needs MOAH POWAH!

3 Likes

Ok, I’ve been struggling for days to split fluids before I have aluminum. I finally found a way.

Gee, thanks Railcraft!

3 Likes