Custom gearboxes... Again!

I dont get it! I have to centrifuge glowstone, so at least 140ish rpm, i have invar diesel engines and some custom gearboxes, but however i place the, even concidering the same rotation of engines, i.e. Through a gearboxes that reverses rotation some gearboxes get interlocked. I want argon badly(

1 Like

can you show the set up you’re using. You’ll probably need a planetary gearbox in reverse configuration to combine the engine rpm packets into one larger one but I may be wrong. Others should be able to explain clearer.

1 Like

IMG_20240120_003831_815

1 Like

Yes needs inverted Planetary Gearbox, or did i call it Transformer Gearbox? something like that. Also needs 4 input engines for that. It usually is easier to run ONE engine of a higher Tier

2 Likes

Ok so i got to te computer this time. Transformer gearbox sadly wont work because it need 1 input, and there is no configuration of custom gearboxes and engines that wont jam

1 Like

Wait there definitely is a way for Engines not to Jam in this situation, did you try hard enough?

Though I STILL recommend just using the higher Tier Engines.

1 Like

I mean, here’s my understanding of their directions, maybe its wrong?

1 Like

oh and higher tier is titanium, i dont have it(

1 Like

Oh actually i can make titanium, but ill need 43,which is a smige more than 4 hours of electrolyzer running, so will turn it on and wait for your answer in that time!
I love how in gt theres 2 way of achieving a hard goal: some long process or a brainstorm, and ANNOY GREG

2 Likes

I would try to put axles between those parts and then measure them using the tachometer sensor

2 Likes

Tachometer only works under load, i tried with axles but it wont work

1 Like

So put something there as load, and put the axle there as well and measure it too

2 Likes

Gearboxes get jammed in this config so the load wont help

1 Like

Did you put the axles there? Try to disconect the gearboxes first and look at the way the axles are rotating. In case the axles are rotating the wrong way you can also connect the two opposite sides by using a monkey wrench to create a shaft going through the gearbox. That kind of connection can connect it if they are rotating in the same direction

2 Likes

Two engines with one gearboxes works Just fine, so at first i thought maybe i need second gearboxes in the middle to reverse everything but it wont help too

1 Like

To say it more precisely, you can connect two opposite sides of a gearbox by two ways. The one you used: placing 3 interlocked gears. And a second one: by placing no gears and just using a monkey wrench on one of the sides to put an internal axle through the gearbox. These two options offer different connections, the first one is good for connecting two sources where each is rotating in a different direction, and the second one when they are rotating in the same direction. After you put the internal axle through the gearbox you can also transfer the power to the side by placing two interlocked gears on it as well.

2 Likes

So I would recomend to use the internal axle connection for the middle gearbox

2 Likes

So if place an inner axle it will interlock with a outer gear? I thought i need a gear for that

1 Like

The Axle might make this work better, i just noticed that your issue is actually that the gearbox to the left is inputting into the custom boxes, while the one on the right is at the “output” side of those gearboxes and therefore not accepting input (it might be that i messed up left and right, its a timing thing not a direction thing).

Try starting all motors at the exact same tick and it should work with your screenshotted setup. Sorry for the inconvenience. ^^"

1 Like

Place an empty gearbox. Right click one side with monkey wrench (this will put the inner axle through it) and then click on that same side with normal wrench (this will put a gear on that side) and then put another gear on the side next to the first gear (so that they are interlocked). Now you have a 3-way gearbox that connects those 2 oposite sides together with an axle. Try it so that you understand how it works.

2 Likes