Anti Cheat, Wallhacks, X-Ray and the Balance of Cannibalism

Yeah I would not expect such huge Player Counts early on. Especially for something that essentially is yet another Minecraft Clone with a twist on it.

There isn’t just famous places that had Castles, there is plenty of rather unknown Castles, which had way fewer people to guard them, but were located on Hills that were easy to defend to make up for lack of people. And some where made of Stone that was less durable, so it does make sense.

Yeah Griefers can be frustrating when the Game is about building Stuff. And even if not, you still have the Issue of Explosives, which once obtained would be a super easy way to break any Walls.

3 Likes

Essentially this.

You need to consider that the less famous places that were easily raided, well they wouldn’t have made quite effective stories that were passed down through history. No one is really going to be telling the tale of that fort that was easily picked apart last week by the guys with the pick hammer.

History is written by the winners as they say.

EDIT

Though I should emphasize it’s equally important how you build your walls. The Egyptian Pyramid walls were so finely set together that the stories say t’was impossible to even slide a knife edge between them. Then you have the Incan walls that look like jigsaw pieces locking together.

3 Likes

The Robbery of all the Granite and other fancy Rocks from the Pyramids says something different lol.

3 Likes

Ha, yeah point taken. I would imagine it took them some time though. Something you have ample of when thinking about the Pyramids.

3 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t want to play on an anarchy server that runs 24/7, it makes more sense to find a few hours each week where everyone can be online at once so there aren’t so many disadvantages.

Have you considered giving police NPCs a buff when the owner of the town is offline? Make them stronger, faster, more perceptive, etc. With proper patrol lines set up and with enough police, any griefing should be noticed within fifteen minutes. At which point the town alert level is raised and the police/military reacts accordingly.

The grief detection system could be implemented very simply with a two-dimensional map laid over the town. Every point on the map is associated with a region of the town, and every region has a list of players with permissions. A server configuration option determines whether players can modify cubes without permission. If this option is enabled, a player who griefs a region causes the server to mark that part of the map as a crime scene. The police patrols then use the map to detect griefing.

The same system could be expanded into a robust event-system and could be used to implement tracking skills (for hunting).

Another option is to limit the amount of pillaging of storage containers so that only a fraction can be removed by players with hostile town reputation.

Yet another option is to give players a global reputation - if a player attacks towns, they gain some renown as a bandit. Eventually towns that have never before been visited will attack the player on sight.

With regard to construction versus destruction, you won’t have to worry about misplaced building blocks if you implement an architect system whereby the player designs the building before actually beginning construction. This is necessary so that automatons (like NPCs) can carry out actual construction, which removes the possibility of misplacement. In the early game the player can misplace things if they don’t design beforehand or if they are not careful. You could also let the player “follow” their completed design blueprints in the world, which is implemented by showing the player a semi-transparent hologram of their design in-world so they can follow it precisely. It can also give a warning if the player attempts to place a block that doesn’t match the design.

The architect system could be something as simple as a standalone voxel editor - like creative mode - with an export function. You could access it in-game with engineering paper and a pencil, or with a computer and CAD software.

I agree that building large structures out of sturdy material should be difficult, time consuming, and require the use of construction machinery, or lots of NPC builders.

3 Likes

I feel like Minecraft has caused some confusion here. A (steel) pickaxe alone can only break softer rocks in which case you probably need wooden supports so the tunnel does not collapse on you. For example, you would use pickaxes on limestone or shale. Even then it is very difficult and time consuming to break a rock with only pickaxe - you have to hit the cracks and fissures to make progress.

The only way you could actually break rocks with a pickaxe is by first weakening the rock considerably, either with dynamite (which also breaks rocks) or fire-setting. Fire-setting is where you light a fire to make the rock really hot, then you dump water on it to make it crack.

Sometimes with softer rocks you can also use a hammer and wedge to widen cracks before going at it with a pickaxe.

Contrast with a brick wall, which is destroyed 1) by chiseling out the mortar between the bricks and then removing the brick, one by one, or 2) by using the force of a heavy sledgehammer to break the bricks from the mortar.

Siege tunneling is only a valid option when the castle is stupidly built on soft rock like limestone or shale. You wouldn’t actually dig through the castle wall, you dig through the rock underneath it. The tunnel would go all the way from inside the walls to just outside of the range of fire. This process would take weeks with gunpowder. If the castle is made of wood it is infinitely easier to set fire to the castle than dig a tunnel.

Alternatively one could “sap” at the walls, which means you send an army of expendables right up to the wall and start digging under it. The goal of sapping isn’t to make an entry tunnel, it is to undermine the foundation of the wall and therefore cause it to collapse. Sapping is practically suicide as it takes days if not weeks and the defenders can shoot you, or pour oil on you, or drop rocks on you, hence the need for an army of expendables. Sapping was rare until the invention of star forts which are very strong against other siege tactics, and usually built on softer terrain instead of a rocky mountain.

2 Likes

You underestimate Ancient Egyptians who worked with Granite of all things before they even had proper Steel! And they chiseled it so they didn’t even break the Rock! :wink:

As for the NPC Police, yeah something along those lines is planned but definitely NOT 2D, we cant have Underground Stuff if that shit is 2D.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, the Egyptians used wrought iron chisels which is almost steel and hard enough to break granite. But they used wooden wedges to actually break the rock, by inserting a bunch of wedges then soaking them with water so the wood expands and cracks the rock.

3 Likes

Yeah, Wrought Iron is what I meant with no proper Steel, but for that they ofcourse need to break it enough to put the Wedges in, dont they? :wink:

And an Iron-Strength Material will be available in the late earlygame, so that is quite easy to use to break Enemy Walls slowly. Not like they care about the Structural Integrity of the Wall if they wanna destroy the Wall. If anything they wanna weaken the Integrity.

Also I just noticed you edited your previous Post. Not a good Idea when someone already left a Like on it, thinking it has already been read due to that. :wink:

The Star Forts are insane, but they are indeed kinda spammed to make sure a large Area can be kept under control, so they did not choose the wisest places for those indeed.

2 Likes

Sorry, I posted the edit before realizing it had been liked or replied to. In the future I’ll just make a second post.

3 Likes