Anti Cheat, Wallhacks, X-Ray and the Balance of Cannibalism

There will be a copy paste alike thing, where you can copy from one Point to Length Height Width in a box and then get a Recipe for putting it together (make sure you can actually carry the result though, not that you copy the Foundation just to find out you cant move it around XD). So you first build it once in World, see how it looks like, and then copy it.

As for Mining, I will give multiple Options, one being just a 3x3x3 Harvest Range for natural Rock Types, the Other being a “mine around a group of Blocks and the group of Blocks will drop on the floor ready to be picked up”, kindof how you get Smoothstone in the Terrafirmacraft Mod.

2 Likes

Since the block can be pre-processed, it may be possible to avoid mistakes through a similar manufacturing module-> connection module-> fixed method, because all modules are movable before the last step. I ’m not quite sure if this is difficult to achieve, so it ’s just for reference :wink:
In the idea interface, “Early Auto-Manual-mation”, the AFK system is introduced. This system and NPC are not available in minecraft. If I understand correctly, the player will become an NPC after offline, and it will operate according to the set things. If there is nothing, it will work automatically, so being attacked while sleeping should be the same problem as NPC.
NPCs are generally not very smart, so they are often teased by players. Perhaps there is a way for NPCs to defend buildings more effectively, such as patrolling / posting along a certain path. Some kind of infiltration is possible, the enemy’s actions are just like in cartoons.

1 Like

You can always go with ic2-like use of concrete: first you place scaffolding, plan it out, and then you fill it with concrete. I think this is just the way it should be: when building something of sturdy materials player gets to think about what he is building and not simply puts blocks randomly. If somebody wants to just place blocks randomly, then, i suppose, you might provide them with your version of creative mode.

If players want to live alone on a public server, their solution is the same as in Minecraft anarchy - hide away from the world somewhere underground and only interact with merchants. If players want to gain lots of power and be able to build huge castles right beside the road (and take taxes from other players for crossing that place ^^) they just form a group in which people have different sleep regimes so that someone of the group would be awake all the time. The way it was and is in reality.

2 Likes

Uhh, even I with my near infinite Free Time cant think of that being possible whatsoever.

And putting C-Foam to dry, while making you plan things out, will result in you noticing things like Cables missing in the Walls, that you need to lay later, or needed Holes for Doors. There is lots of tiny accidents that can happen that serve nothing but making you rage about how shitty it is that you cant build properly with that Block. :wink:

2 Likes

Of course, on 10 people server this would not be possible, but think about 100 people server, for example, on such servers it would be easily accomplished.

Those happen in real life too and people do not rage much because drilling a hole for a cable is not much of a deal, and this applies especially to the game.

2 Likes

Here is the Issue, your way of doing things implies that you need a LOT more time to break walls than in real Life, just to be able to wait out the time it takes for you to get back into the Game. Back in ancient times the Romans often just walked up to a Castle Wall and pickaxed it open, while the person behind them protected them with a Shield. This process is faster than what would be required for your Bunkers in regards of harvest slowness.

2 Likes

Why do you propose this? I did not say or think that. And honestly bunkers are not “pickaxed easily” anyway. As i said, reality is the best source of experience and it clearly shows that defensive constructions were and are useful, and you just want to kill this fun aspect of real life by either using God power to keep people from breaking claimed chunks or by giving people ability to disassemble walls in no time.

O_o why should they have used rams to break gates and ladders to climb walls then, if it is super-easy to just “pickax it open” a stone wall under heavy attack?

3 Likes

They used multiple ways to get in, pickaxing it open was one of them. Especially if you cant get a Ram or Ladders up a Hill.

And the reason I say that it needs to take ages to work is pure consequence of making it harvestable by the Enemy. If the Enemy can just harvest it as fast as the Builder can, the Wall will be open very quickly.

Just run up to a Wall of lets say Minecraft Obsidian with an Efficiency 5 Pickaxe. Sure if you are there you can stop that Person, but what if you aren’t home or if you dont notice it in time? They will just go woop and they are in your Base, within less than a Minute. And this clearly cannot be what you envision it to be, because that is broken as heck.

Building and Breaking things will be substantially easier in a Game than in real Life, which does come with unique Design Challenges.

ARK Survival (or was it Conan Exiles?) has the Multiplayer Issue of people being forced to build a huge pillar with a God Bubble at the top, just to protect their Items while they are offline.

There needs to be a mechanic where Enemies have 1000 times slower Building/Breaking Speed when you claim a Chunk, in order for your Vision to ever work, you are aware of that, right?

Because if it is not biased in ANY way at all, it will lead to the Enemy just running into your Base and wrecking your shit no matter what, and then you will end up with “nobody is allowed to know where my Base is, or else everything gets stolen!”, which is absolutely not fun at all.

2 Likes

In any case, if you have played Rust you’d know just how tedious it is to break some wall down unless you are the owner of the claim box or whatever it is called.
Takes days to get into some place with just tools or guns unless you have explosive ammo or C4. So essentially, the whole game revolves around having explosive ammo or C4 and then it just becomes a matter of having an hour to break in and loot everything while the camp owners are AFK.

Likewise, EVE Online does it even more strict. You first start a siege with a bunch of heavy hitting dreadnaughts and then as you’ve downed their shield, it goes into “indestructible mode” for 24 hours.
So you first have to bring a gang of super expensive equipment and a bunch of players, more players the more dangerous the target corporation/alliance is. And then everyone has to go on a break for 24 hours and come back again in full force to finally kill off the target.
Again, tedious and full of ways to fail the assault where in real life you can get into some place in an hour and silently too if necessary… Or just with one big boom.

3 Likes

When the player is offline, the castle will not completely lose protection, because the NPC will complete this task. Even though it may not do well, it can still defeat enemies of similar strength through terrain advantages.

2 Likes

NPCs are trivial to beat sadly, the whole lack of brains thing will make them get stuck or decide to do the wrong actions to defend the place. The only thing NPCs would be good for is beating the Enemy NPCs, or flanking the whole place, or a Distraction with Cannon Fodder.

2 Likes

After having a certain number of armies, the player will not play a decisive role, because the army is mainly composed of NPC, and the player cannot control every soldier at the same time, resulting in the player can only command the NPC in simple commands (Such as attacking or defending a city).
In smaller battles, such as early siege, players will be able to play a big role, but if there is enough preparations, this advantage is likely to be offset.

2 Likes

You assume that you have Armies over 100 NPCs, I dont think that will not end up lagging a little. And Players are way important for the precision Stuff where you dont want the NPC Army to mess up your Plans.

2 Likes

A large number of NPCs are also required in social activities, otherwise the society will not be able to maintain.
In the absence of a clear command system, it is also possible that commands cannot be accurately communicated, so ordinary soldiers cannot complete precise actions.

2 Likes

The equal-footing attack and defense for base destruction is definitely impractical, and I don’t play huge multiplayer games often but I’ve never experienced myself a well done “sleeping shift” system implemented, and it seems like a pain in the ass for casual players. Rebalancing the mine/build speed yourself doesnt seem like too hard of a mod to make if you’re really interested in that. Although, for the vanilla game, I quite like the idea of big machines to assist in this, e.g. in the ancient era building a fortified castle takes a ton of npc workers, pulley machines, and is overall tedious, while a thatch house is a quick one man job but not very expandable and very prone to natural disasters, while by the skyscraper age an entire city could be built in maybe two weeks, at a huge resource cost and the risk that the NPC economy would not overcome its cost. I’d say the same for mining, you can’t just smash together a stone pick and infinitely and quickly tunnel to the core by yourself, having to resort to mostly surface and cave deposits, but soon after the insustrial age dynamite, drills, excavators, etc. make mining much quicker (and a single machine won’t require 100 cubic meters of stone). Though I’ve never designed a game and dont know much about how this would be specifically implemented, so these are just my random ideas.

3 Likes

May i have some historical documents depicting this? Because castles were practically unbreakable, and main way to take castle was to just starve defenders out.

Enough defenders of the castle (which is possible on 100+ people server)→enemy is not able to break in.

As i said, if you are living alone you get as far from any communications as you can, and if you have a gang then you are able to defend your base at all times.

No.

It is fun enough, because this gives the game a taste of human interaction: you give out your base to stranger→you get your boipussy rekt. And this also gives sense to exploration.

3 Likes

I don’t really think this game is going to be built around the idea of mmo-style huge multiplayer clans. If the game and server performs well enough to allow such a scale of people (I doubt it honestly) then the immense customizability Greg says he’ll implement may cover some of your desires, and it’s supposed to be very moddable as well. From what I’ve seen of Greg’s posts, it’s likely the initial foci will be on individualistic, npc-command gameplay, with maybe a few communal player allies in your domain, and distant neutral or guarded competitor players, as has been the precedent in many other sandbox games (though I am not Greg, obviously, and cannot speak for him). This game is ambitious as it is, and it’s best to work with a combination of what is known to work and the fundamental ideals of what the game should be.

3 Likes

Even Minecraft does and Minecraft’s performance is usually called not too good.

3 Likes

Yeah you would either starve, freeze or die of heat before reaching that.

This was one of the things I watched on German TV a few years ago when I still watched TV. Might have been a translated Version of a National Geographic Episode on the Siege of some Castle in a Desert on a steep Mountain, where Rams and Catapults were just not working at all.

The closest I found in my search was a Statement that Roman Legionaries eroded the Basement of the enemy Walls with their Pickaxes, which pretty much is describing what I saw on TV too. I just dont like linking to Google Books because that Website is broken as fuck.

Also if you can break out natural Rock with a Pickaxe, you sure as fuck can do the same to Bricks. It is not THAT hard.

And ofcourse starving them out was the easiest way, that way you dont really lose anything.

You are insanely optimistic that you can get 100+ people to play on the same Server. That is quite a rare thing to happen in most Minecraft alike Games.

You can’t really do that, some people will always somehow find your Base for whatever reason, even if you are 100 kilometers out in the middle of nowhere, they will likely find you for one stupid reason or another.

Also always remember, you can just disable Chunk claiming if you really think your Idea works. Not like I need to do anything to make your thing work since your thing is “don’t do anything special”.

It should be able to support such a scale of people, though I don’t expect a large enough Playerbase for this to ever really be used. And I plan on making Server Clusters possible, like having a dozen Raspberry Pis work as one Server or similar. Though I will likely make it one Pi per “Region” of the Server. The first Style of Worlds being Islands where each Island would be one Region.

Initial Focus is essentially making a Minecraft Clone, but with the Game Mechanics like Crafting, Tools and Food being replaced with my own mostly procedurally generated System. And the very very initial Focus is getting Creative Mode to work first, and adding Survival after that.

2 Likes

But we need some context, because as far as my knowledge goes, castles were not takeable in most of the situations at all, like Constantinople, for example, was surrounded by turks for around a hundred years but until active use of bombards started it was not taken, and this is just one example.

You really think that around 100 people on one server is an unachievable goal in case of your Game?..

No, not really, even in Minecraft 100 kilometers is usually enough on an anarchy server for a base to be never ever found, and this is Minecraft with it’s small height limit and ability to actively wallhack, and since your game code will not allow for wallhacks, a man can just dig deep into the earth if he wants to feel safe.

Eehh, more likely for this kind of purposes a mod will have to be done, because if breaking everything is super-easy in your game, then just disabling chunk claiming will not work as fine as i imagine it.

3 Likes