Why does the GT6 machines look so "silly"?

Compared with GT5, GT6 machines have only one simple GUI, and there are no configuration buttons like GT5 (or even the input/output surface can not be adjusted). Some machines even have no GUI. This makes the GT6 machine look “silly” and cumbersome. Although you can add more functions with covers or extenders, it is still not convenient for precise automation. Although this can be explained by the fact that GT6 machines are relatively rudimentary (most of them have no circuits), I can’t accept that even with crystal processors, they are still so backward. I hope there will be some changes in the LuV and above machines that will be added in the future.

2 Likes

The GUI Buttons were completely removed because the Energy one was a potential “Self Destruct” Button, and the tank and item output ones were configured with a Monkey Wrench on the respective Auto-Output Side.

The lack of GUI for certain things is to get rid of useless clutter that just slows down the Player, also it makes things way more simple to handle for everyone involved.

The non-configurable directions of In and Output were a Decision that might have been a bad Idea in the long run, but at least it makes the Animations make sense, and gives a challenge for Automating Machines.

And as for how I will make the highest Tier Machines, I dont fully know, we will see.

1 Like

It was a learning curve at first I must admit, but the lack of a GUI in my opinion gives the machines a realistic feel, where you need to take into account the surrounding space and layout of your build. Later machines do have a GUI so it is a case of the lesser rudimentary machines being much more hands on.

However one thing that I find troublesome is the durability of the magnifying glass, that sucker breaks after only looking through it a couple of times. I end up just ignoring it and wrenching machines over and over to get what I want, and don’t talk to me about barrel contents… What happened to those shiny gem magnifying glasses?

4 Likes

Magnifying glasses can still be crafted from gem lenses (+ stick). Just their recipes were hidden.

3 Likes

Nice, I’ll check that later.

2 Likes

I’ve never understood why magnifying glasses are so durability… Will using it to look at things cause lens wear and tear?

4 Likes

My opinion of magnifying glass damage is that glass panes make those cheap magnifying glasses you can get at the dollar store, and you’re using it to examine dirty, sharp-edged, early-Industrial-age machinery. It’s gonna scratch and fog up before too long.

Maybe a little bit longer than one afternoon’s worth, of course…

3 Likes

So how about some sturdy magnifying glasses Qwerty? :yum:

2 Likes

Just make a magnifying glass from any double gem from a dungeon chest. Tools needed: saw and file. Non-glass magnifying glasses are VERY durable.

3 Likes

Wait wasnt there a Recipe with Regular Gem -> Lens in the Grindstone?

2 Likes

I’m sure I’ve made gem lenses with a file, I used to have an amber magnifying glass but one day I found I couldn’t make another. Perhaps I was using the wrong lens as I seem to recall I made it from one of Thaumcraft’s shard types.

I’ve yet to test all this as i’ve been busy with acid production automation.

2 Likes

Hard to tell without testing. I haven’t seen (or don’t remember) such recipe. Getting double gem, saw and file at earlygame are easier than grindstone though.

3 Likes

Oh right its Gem to Gem Plate to Lens, now I remember XD

2 Likes

Yeah, infused entropy lenses made from thaumcrafts shards don’t work, but I made an orange sapphire magnifying glass just fine.

2 Likes

With this you have to use item pipes, hoppers or ME networks more often:).

UPD: not ME networks but Logistics networks because they are ‘more reasonable and less overpowered’. AE2 is kicked of my modpack forever.

2 Likes