Uranium and uranium-238

So how would anyone suggest to fix this one in particular, so i can mark it solved?

3 Likes

After staring at the list of ore dictionary entries for a while, I think I found that, at least with the name to material associations we have right now, that there is no actual solution.

Assuming I understood the material register right, we have the following materials:

• NTM Uranium (NU), unifies to GT Uraninite (NU oxide, which is a distinction NTM doesnā€™t make so itā€™s ok)
  • GT U235 and NTM U235, which are equivalent, so no further actions needed
  • GT Uranium (U238) and NTM U238, which are equivalent but the ā€œUraniumā€ alias is where the issue is

If GT unifies to NTM U238, there is no longer any item with the ā€œUraniumā€ tag (since NTM ā€œUraniumā€ turns into GT ā€œUraniniteā€), and none of NTMā€™s NU fuels would be craftable. If it unifies to GT ā€œUranium/U238ā€, that would mean that NTM U238 could be re-used as NU, which would be an infinite source of U235.

Option #3 would be saying ā€œhey, what if we stop caring about what ā€œUraniumā€ is, and if GT is installed, NTM will change all ā€œUraniumā€ references to ā€œUraniniteā€ insteadā€. That way the ā€œUraniumā€ material doesnā€™t get in the way, since it would be equivalent to U238 and NU (now named ā€œUraniniteā€) would continue to exist. Thatā€™s a change on my end, but Iā€™d like to know if that might cause any side effects because Iā€™m not an expert on GT or how the unification works :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

All Unification does is ā€œtake Item, register it under a specific name, and everything related to it turns into it, unless the item itself is on the unification blacklistā€

The reason I do Uranium Ore to Uraninite for most Uranium Ores is because of IC2 Uranium Ore otherwise being way too easy to process, not to mention me being unable to make proper use of it as an ā€œoreā€ due to it then supposedly being ā€œpure uranium 238ā€.

Uranium itself is a clusterfuck, so I would indeed recommend just not using the ā€œUraniumā€ name in the OreDict.

4 Likes

@laurynasl if you still have that GT/NTM pack running, could you test if the most recent version (X
4578) fixes it? it should register all NTM items and recipes with the ā€œUraniumā€ suffix and ā€œUraniniteā€ instead

3 Likes

So itā€™s finally released :slight_smile: I will test it after several hours (during lunch break).

Heh, you added enriched naquadah/naquadria as fuel for new watz power plant. This will be interestingā€¦

3 Likes

Nq fuels should be somewhat more powerful than pure Sa326. Assuming I found the right file, the depleted products should be roughly the same as the GT fission fuel variants (githubā€™s search feature is dumb as a rock, ended up grepping my local copy of the src to find the recipes :stuck_out_tongue:)

3 Likes

Looks like you found the right file - naquadria burns into Co-60. Which is not fun in my opinion - Co-60 is very weak. Butā€¦ everything is ā€œconfigurableā€ in my own fork of GT6 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Enriched naquadah/naquadria watz pellets are not craftable. Also, they are ā€œSelf-ingitingā€ (typo)

3 Likes

The ore dict keys Iā€™m checking for might not exist during pre-init, Iā€™m moving the recipes for those to the init phase, hope that fixes it.

2 Likes

Yeah do not check for oredict keys during preInit, that will give you lots of load order Issues. And checking if an OreDict Key exists before adding an Item is also a big NOPE. Applied Energistics does it and they really fucked it up by doing it that way.

2 Likes