Trying to figure out why crusher is stuck

Hello,

I’m attempting to configure the following setup:
Dense Burning Box (Steel) → Dense Steam Boiler → Strong Steam Engine (Bronze) → Crusher (Bronze).

Based on my calculations, the setup should function properly:
128 HU/t from the Dense Burning Box converts to 256 steam/t in the Dense Steam Boiler.
The Strong Steam Engine (Bronze) outputs 64 Ku/t from 256 steam/t, which matches the maximum input threshold for the Bronze Crusher (16-64).

However, I’m encountering an issue where, after about 2-3 minutes, the Crusher stops working. This is indicated by a clicking sound and the progress resetting when it reaches about 30-50%. Resetting the engine temporarily resolves this issue, but it reoccurs within minutes.

Interestingly, replacing the Bronze Steam Engine with a Steel one seems to fix the problem. However, I’m unsure why this is effective, as both engines appear compatible with this setup in terms of output ranges.

Could someone explain why this setup might not be working as intended, and why switching to a Steel Steam Engine resolves the issue?

Here is an image of my setup for reference.

1 Like

Are you using distilled water or regular?

2 Likes

I’m using distilled water for this setup

1 Like

I guess your steam engine went red and then stopped.
If it’s the situation, then it’s caused by the unstability of fluid pipes. Since that, the actual maixmum input of steam engine is a bit less then the labeled value.
Maybe you can make some calcification on your boilers, that can silghtly decrease the amount of their steam output.

1 Like

Actually, my engine is running and continue to run while crusher have issues (and it has the green color while doing so). Here is screenshot as crusher in stuck loop:

I’m using bronze fluid pipe (900l capacity, 450 l/t bandwidth) for steam, so I wouldn’t expect changing type of fluid pipe would help, right?

Tried to run on normal water, and (I think as expected) that didn’t trigger the issue. However, I’m not sure if I can use distilled water with calcificated boiler (replacing boiler reset calcification level; without replacing boiler I’m stuck with normal water inside and I would expect it could explode as water runs out and pipe with distilled water cannot insert it until boiler is not empty). So overall I don’t think it’s very good/scalable solution for this problem(

1 Like

so I’ve been going through the numbers, the setup all looks correct and on board so that leads me to this hypothesis:

a strong bronze steam engine gives an output of 24 - 96 KU/t on 96 - 384 steam/t, at 256 steam/t that’s something like 63.36 KU/t if you calculate as 256/96 steam/t (2.666 repeating ratio) or 64.08 KU/t 24 x 2.67 ratio.

Basically I think the fraction is messing things up and pushing the number off 64 KU/t exactly.

The strong steel boiler has a 32 - 128 KU/t output on 128 - 512 steam/t so at 256 steam/t that would output exactly 64 KU/t (256/128 = 2 ratio = 32 * 2 ratio = 64 KU/t) hence why it works perfectly.

I’m not a math man though so I think I need @Gregorius to confirm if my suspicions are correct here.

What do you think Greg?

2 Likes

Yeah it rounds down when it divides like that.

1 Like

Then I assume the issue is it’s very very gradually running out of steam and eventually stalls, hence why it works for a few minutes and needs reset, though it should be able to run with less KU/t so I dunno.

1 Like

Unless it is at the verge of the minimum power requirement. Then even 1 missing KU can be an issue.

1 Like

I would recommend just go with the steel, we’ll call it a gotcha trap.

1 Like

Yeah, with steel it works just fine

1 Like