Transformer shenanigans

The mixer on the right side can’t finish a recipe - it works for 1 sec and then loses power and restarts periodically. Why?

Both sides’ EV battery boxes have 4 batteries. The MV box on the left has 4 empty batteries and the right one has 2.

On the left side, the EU meter shows 2047 every other tick, and every now and then it outputs an extra packet so that the actual average EU/t is 2048 (tested with lower voltages where the time constants are shorter). This means that the HV-MV transformer can output 4x256 EU every tick - which it does to fill the batteries.

On the right side the HV-MV trafo outputs two amps to the battery box and still has 2 amps to spare. The MV-LV transformer should be taking one of those amps every four ticks or one amp of 128 EU every other tick (I’m not sure exactly how that works, but I know the transformer output can’t go lower than the nominal voltage -128 for the HV-MV trafo… meaning it can’t output packets of 64). Either way, there should be more than enough energy to run the (LV) mixer. It needs at most two amps of 64 (63) EU and 65 EU/t on average.

Even if I move the mixer directly to the transformer, the behaviour is the same. If I remove one battery from the MV battery box, it starts working.

EDIT: the EU meter on the left was set to average in the image so it doesn’t correspond to what I wrote in the text.

3 Likes

You need to make sure that the Machine Receives at least one Packet per Tick, if that is not the case then it will never complete the Recipe. And considering how your Setup is basically dumping everything into the Batbox first you might need to make sure the System is actually saturated for all of this to function.

There is NO EVEN DISTRIBUTION in this type of Electric Network, so you need to make sure that everything that is connected is powered fully for things to actually work.

And yes those Battery Boxes actually accept more Power the more Batteries you put into them, so you need to supply more too ofcourse.

3 Likes

I don’t quite follow. What I’m saying is that the mixer should be getting packets every tick.

Are you saying that the transformer can only output packets of the same magnitude inter-tick?
What does it mean when a system is saturated? That the transformer is saturated?

The two setups were just to demonstrate that there should be enough power available to power everything.

3 Likes

Eh Greg? He isn’t dumping everything into the battery box. The MV battery box that only has two batteries in it should only be able to take 2 * 256 = 512 EU/t. The HV-MV transformer should always be full and pumping out 4 * 256 EU packets, of which the battery box can only claim 2, maybe 3, leaving at least one for the MV-LV transformer, and it should only need one packet every 3 or 4 ticks.

I wonder if this has to do with the recent change for battery boxes to only exchange power with the batteries once a second. I’ll bet that if you downgrade to the previous version, this setup will work. With the change, I’m betting the battery box’s larger internal capacitor actually allows it to take the full 4 amps for at least a dozen ticks before it fills up and waits to dump into the batteries on the 1 second mark, which starves the LV transformer.

4 Likes

Wait why is that one transformer Galvanized while the other is Stainless??

Yes this can very well be exactly what happened here.

3 Likes

Maybe the internal capacitor should limit its input on each tick to 1/20th of the maximum power that the installed batteries can accept to restore the old behavior?

4 Likes

They’re all step down (EV -> HV -> MV -> LV).

3 Likes

No they are not. You go straight HV -> LV to the Mixer there.

Yeah that might be a solution indeed. ^^

2 Likes

Eh? I see an EV->HV transformer feeding an HV-MV transformer that is both feeding an MV battery box and an MV->LV transformer.

3 Likes

Oops… I literally looked at the picture assuming the power COMES FROM BELOW and goes UP…

2 Likes

Yea, sorry. Maybe I should have made that more clear.

3 Likes

Anyways it is somewhat solved in the upcoming Version. Battery Boxes wont accept more Power than they can possibly consume within one tick.

3 Likes