Tools don't say how much metal is left in them

I noticed that my chain armor tooltip says that it is made of steel and contains xxx units ( based on damage value ) but my sword and other tools don’t do this. Thought I’d mention this little curio.

2 Likes

Can you show me which Swords this applies to? Because Vanilla Tools should definitely have a displayed Value, just like Vanilla Armor.

1 Like

GT swords of course.

2 Likes

GT tools in general don’t show their value, yeah. That is mostly because they cannot be smelted back into their components (so the amount used is useless, while it wouldn’t be in any other case since you can re-smelt them back) and only get a semi-random amount of scraps (based on how much material you used in crafting it in the first place) when breaking it. Also works for anvils.

2 Likes

No; you can put them in a shredder to get the material back.

2 Likes

Wait, for finished tools? That’s new for me, I guess I actually never tried that one.
Does that work in a crucible too or is it just the shredder?

2 Likes

I don’t think I ever tried the crucible but I thought it worked there too. In the shredder you also get the wood scrap from the handle back :wink:

2 Likes

I’m guessing it respects the same ratio armor uses, as in: the more worn out the object is the less you get back when you shred it. In that case yes, it would seem like an oversight that you can’t get a progressive reading on how much stuff you do get back with the shredding the more worn out the tool is.

2 Likes

Yeah GT Tools do not have Material Data, and the Shredder should not output anything for those Tools, it should not even attempt shredding.

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I thought. As far as I remember dropping one of those finished tools in the crucible just gives you nothing and NEI doesn’t show anything (but NEI lies anyway), but he seemed pretty sure about the thing.
We’ll chalk it as done then.

2 Likes

Hrm… I could have sworn that I have shredded blue steel swords when they are getting low on durability to recycle what’s left into a new one.

2 Likes

Do post the results if that’s the case, I have a whole chest full of finished energetic alloy swords that I made by mistake and I really wouldn’t mind getting those back.

2 Likes

Tools give you scraps when they break, those Scraps are what you threw into the Crucible.

1 Like

Yea, but I could have sworn that you could shred them before they break and you got back the wood from the handle and a guaranteed amount of metal, rather than a random amount, and it typically worked out better to shred than take the scraps when it breaks. Also better to shred before it breaks on you in the middle of combat and you’re left to defend yourself with nothing but scraps :wink:

2 Likes