Thoughts on how this fits with GT6 and its general philosophy/goals?

In a beta modpack server someone just posted this thingy for 1.7.10 and given people’s general attitude towards modern MC here, I’m curious what you guys think of it and how it would complement GT6 (especially Gregorious, when it comes down to anything “new” he always had detailed negative opinions on it)?

3 Likes

A lot of it looks pretty damn competent, especially falling snow is something I feel like minecraft should already have (minetest did it years ago!), the only things I don’t understand are the classic biome (the grass color clashes with the newer textures and I was never that fond of them in the first place) and removing peaceful mode entirely (have fun throwing your world away after getting spawncamped by a horde of zombies)

4 Likes

While a lot of times I do have a negative opinion about certain Mods, I do not really know anything about that particular Mod.

It seems on surface to be an okay Mod, but I haven’t looked at it in person, to be able to actually tell if something is bad about it. Calling the Mod “The Right Branch” may be a bit stupid though. XD

1 Like

So Greg, what is your philosophy you are trying to embody with GT?

Realism? Science? Sadomasochism?

Inquiring minds want to know.

4 Likes

Mostly Realism, Gameplay, a bit of Exploration. and incentivizing people to build up Infrastructure.

I dont like Masochism, I am way more of a wholesome person and prefer to just have a nice and calm time. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Ah, that’s my job then. Death and starvation to the max!

2 Likes

“While Mojang releases Mod-like updates, we’re developing update-like mods!”

This really rubs me the wrong way. Mojang is a business that’s dependent on making money, most modders do it for free and as a hobby, with some exceptions. They have completely different motives and forces at work that influence what they make, it just seems a little tone-deaf.

3 Likes

Actually Mojang does not do anything basically, they are a big Team of people yet the updates they get out are less than what one single dedicated Modder outputs in a week. So yeah, that statement is sadly very accurate…

Also updates dont make them money, since Minecraft isn’t a sUbScRiPtIoN mOdEl. The only money they make is from Merch, hosting Realms and developing for different Platforms where they can make you buy it again.

4 Likes

Capitalism baby let’s goooooo

2 Likes

Just as an aside, all of these features already exist in some form or another under several other mods in 1.7. On top of that those mods tend to be modular, while this mod is just everything thrown in haphazardly, it’s closed source and one of the first posts asks for configs, and then the mod author is heard of again. Oof. Personally, I’d never use this in a modpack, and if I had to it’d be a supremely small one, considering the sheer amount of interference between features that this single mod brings to the table, the general lack of support and the fact you can’t actually contact the dev for issues or fork the project to change anything yourself.

Generally speaking, greg will add to his game what greg wants to add, which only greg knows what will be.

Now, looking at it I think this particular mod’s features are a weird mix of BTW (it literally has Hibachis in there) and beta and just some random stuff the dev thought was cool (fireflies and scarecrows for example), not much GT6 (which is I think more in the vein of TFC with less food-based limitations and whatnot).

6 Likes

Well, Mod Support will ofcourse also exist. :wink:

2 Likes

Content for mods ≠ Content for updates. I’m surprised you don’t realise that, given that you’ve spent years modding.

2 Likes

What if the Content Updates ARE first party mods? I’m surprised you didnt realize that. XD

2 Likes

Mo’ Mobs and the old pistons mod? Yeah, they were, but that was wayyyy back then before Minecraft was worth literal tens of billions of dollars and became the single most popular game of all time; developing content for a game like that on its myriads of platforms and audiences and whatnot is hard. Really hard. I’m not saying that “modders have it easy”, making content takes time and effort, but it is a fundamentally different amount and kind when it comes down to making updates.

Addendum: Just for clarity, I’m not saying Mojang’s updates are perfect or great or anything really, I’m just saying that to make $x content for a Minecraft update and a Minecraft mod are 2 very different things.

2 Likes

Horses were added in 1.6, that was in 2014 not long before it sold to M*crosoft, so I’d say MC was already a pretty huge deal at that point in time.

While I agree that mods and MC updates are fundamentally different, we shouldn’t ignore the difference in circumstance either, Mojang has a large dev team that does it full time, I bet my code would be less janky if only I had someone who’s being paid to test everything back and forth for 8 hours a day.

Although personally I don’t even have an issue with the quantity of the updates. it’s more so that in the last years there’s only very few things that impress me or I feel like the game actually needed, a lot of post-M*crosoft additions feel like random content mods being thrown into the base game.

3 Likes

Even with back and fourth testing and full time employment, the updates they release always disappoint, bring more bugs and fluff the game without improving gameplay.

2 Likes