Some questions, mostly about electricity

1. How electricity is actually working? I had powered my electromagnet for polarizer with 32 EU/t on 1 Amp of current and it didn’t work, but after applying 2 Amps to it it starts working fine. Is it just polarizer requires 2 Amps to process long iron rods and NEI’s recipes is just broken or I didn’t understand something?

2. What’s a EU/t in tooltips? Is it a Voltage or a Power unit?

3. My favourite: why Electric Heaters are SO inefficient? Is there a chain like HU -> EU -> more HU -> more EU and so on? Because I don’t see any way to gain more energy from heaters even if they will have 100% efficiency (which they should because Joule heating has a coefficient of perfomance of 1, meaning that for every Joule of electricity they produce 1 Joule of heat). Their low efficiency makes them worthless, especially considering how inefficient is electricity production already.

4. Oh, hey, a non-electric question! How big would be internal combustion engines? Are they going to be restricted to multiblock like Gas Turbine, or there will be one-blocks which are cheaper but inefficient?

3 Likes
  1. 32 EU/t turns into 16 MU/t, but said 16 MU/t are split over both sides of the Electromagnet so it emits 8 MU/t to your Polarizer. So when you double that it will ofcourse work.

2. Just amount of Power per tick that is required to operate, or that is emitted, depending on context.

3. The Electric Heaters are so inefficient because they are way more convenient to use.

4. Internal Combustion Engines??? Where was that ever mentioned?

3 Likes

Come now Greg, we’ve all seen the tooltip for significantly more GU/L when running fuel in an engine. :wink:
A combustion engine is not a completely far fetched idea.

3 Likes

OHHHHH that thing, that’s a single block fuel consuming thing that emits RU very efficiently. At least that is the plan. Useful for remote Power and Stuff.

3 Likes

Like a portable generator but for RU, :+1:

2 Likes

So ofcourse you could combine that with a dynamo for easy electric power too.

2 Likes

Better make that engine a tough nut to craft then. Can’t make things too easy can we?

2 Likes

Ah the combustion generator, the epitome of Soon™

3 Likes