Some issue with RAM

This may be a bit off topic but I’ve faced some strange problem.
I was playing and the game suddenly stopped and the whole PC started lagging. This happened on 1.7.10 with HBM (no GT6 was installed, so it’s a bit off topic) and 1.12.2 with GTCEU.
I found out that RAM usage in F3 screen shows that it increases to something like 25% (8Gb allocated, 16Gb total, 6.2Gb was used before starting MC) and then decreases back like saw teeth. In the task manager however it was increasing and lag starts when it hits the top. Exiting to main menu doesn’t work. I expected more memory to be cleaned.
What is going on, there’s almost nothing in that world (which could possibly eat that much memory)? Have anyone faced something like this? In 1.7.10 an HBM update seemed to fix this. Is this a mod issue?

3 Likes

Task manager screenshots

2 Likes

Mod list (GT Community pack with GT updated and a couple of mods added)

3 Likes

Looks like some Mods are leaking Memory in your Pack, which is very likely in 1.12 due to how the shitty new Forge Capabilities System works.

As for HBM I wonder if @TheBobcat simply fixed a memory leak inbetween updates, and that is what solved it, but I guess we need to ask Bob for that.

2 Likes

I can’t help, but great documentation. I wish every technical issue was this thoroughly explained.

3 Likes

I don’t recall any actual memory leaks in NTM, nor have I consciously fixed any. Light packs with NTM have always run fine for me with 2-3 gigs.

1 Like

Yeah GT6 runs on one gig of allocated RAM just fine by itself, so I never experience much of actual memory leaks unless I run CoFHCore or something garbage like that.

2 Likes

maybe it’s a hardware issue? hope your PC isn’t dying…

2 Likes

The PC is 1 year old. I’ve kinda fixed this. Seems that it was Energy control mod.

2 Likes

I don’t believe Energy Control is even compatible with current versions of NTM. All the compat stuff is hardcoded and broke the instant I removed a machine.

2 Likes

It was 1.12.2. And for 1.7.10 latest energy control version is compatible.

2 Likes

In the future if you (or anyone else) can use VisualVM or any of the other java heapdump tools (the sdk even comes with one but it’s CLI-oriented) and take a heapdump of the MC process and upload it somewhere and link it here then we can probably tell you precisely what the issue is. :slight_smile:

1 Like