Procressing of Pinalite,Russelite and Stolzite

I know that this is an old problem that has lasted for a long time. Pinalite, russelite and stolzite cannot be handled normally in the game. They can only be thrown into the crucible to become tungsten trioxide, and the rest will be wasted, and I don’t want to do this with my crucible… Fortunately, they don’t form in rock layer veins, but only in bedrock veins. Unfortunately, I just found a bedrock vein of pinalite, and I didn’t find bedrock veins of other tungsten minerals. Moreover, with the change of bedrock vein formation rules, the probability of encountering them has increased, so I think this remaining problem must be solved sooner or later.
I knew about this problem a long time ago. I found a large number of paper websites for this purpose. but, all the papers related to these minerals only mentioned how to explore and what distribution they have at present (after all, China, as a large country of tungsten resources, must have their related research), without any mention of how they are smelted. Moreover, according to some literatures, only scheelite and wolframite are valuable tungsten ores for mining and smelting (which is basically the same as that in the game. Let’s ignore the strange tungstate ore first), which means that they may not have been mined on a large scale, and no one uses them to refine tungsten, so no one does relevant research, Greg has been unable to find relevant information, which I can understand (I spent a lot of time and energy on it, but there was no result).

Since the literature on minerals cannot be found, take them as ordinary compounds (after all, the default ore dust in GT is completely pure and free of impurities), and take a look at the possible treatment methods.

Stolzite: this should be the most informative. Lead tungstate itself is used as a Scintillation material in the electromagnetic flux sensor of particle accelerator (it is even added to a 1.12.2 particle accelerator MOD). In reality, no one seems to use it to refine tungsten (in reality, lead tungstate is made from sodium tungstate and lead salt), but the encyclopedia says that it will decompose in hot hydrochloric acid, so the reaction with hydrochloric acid to tungstic acid and lead chloride seems to be feasible, although I have no relevant information
In addition, it is gratifying that the rockhounding mod of 1.12.2 adds stolzite shard (not in version 1.7.10), and they even add shards of Tungstite and Tungstenite (these two kinds of tungsten mineral are basically not used for smelting, and GT does not). This is the only mod added with stolzite except gt6. However, it is disappointing that the use of all mineral shards in rockhounding is to directly turn nitric acid and sodium cyanide into various chemical element powders in the chemical extractor, regardless of whether it is feasible in reality.

Russelite: bismuth tungstate is a promising photocatalytic material. It is mentioned in some materials that it can even extract bismuth, but I haven’t found any process. If it is treated with hydrochloric acid like other tungsten ores, it should produce tungstic acid and bismuth oxychloride (bismuth trichloride will hydrolyze, although some materials say it is stable in strong acid solution), but I am not sure whether it is feasible. This is just my guess. After all, no one seems willing to do research in this field.

Pinalite: This is the least information. I haven’t even found a few papers on it. It should be a double salt. If treated with hydrochloric acid, it will produce more lead chloride.

Alkali decomposition seems to be feasible in theory (in fact, most tungsten ore smelting uses alkali instead of acid to decompose, and only high-purity scheelite can be used. However, it doesn’t matter for the default pure gt6, and there is no need to change the existing tungsten ore treatment to avoid problems in the existing production line), but I don’t have more relevant information.

Finally, as for color, not all tungsten ores are black like wolframite. stolzite is brownish yellow and russelite is brownish red.

If anyone has more information, please add.

3 Likes