My 'Literal' thoughts on anvils

Hi Greg, wanted to give you some feedback on anvils. Simple and to the point they work well, though they tend to break faster than I was expecting, I should stop cheaping out on material. :grin: However I’m having trouble remembering what side does what.

I’ve turned more plates into foil than I care to imagine, and I’m afraid to play with them in case the result isn’t what I’m looking for. Would it be possible to show a sort of thought bubble of the finished result depending on where I hit the anvil? like a little window that appears above the anvil with what I’m about to create?

2 Likes

The two Sides are horizontal and vertical for a reason, the fat vertical side is Plates, the slim horizontal Side is Foils.

I’m not sure if some Hologram would fit the style though.

2 Likes

Righto Greg, not a big fan of floating holograms either was thinking more of of a GUI tooltip. Not to worry I just need to play around with it a bit more. I’ll get used to it.

2 Likes

Remembering the ends based on the shape isn’t too difficult for me. It’s the Front is big and Back is small that’s a bugger to recall. Yes, the tiny yellow NEI button does differ in position, but it causes a similar worry about using these extra sides unless the anvil is put up against a wall or table.

3 Likes

The Side is always the one that matches with the Shape on the ends, Front and Back are not special, if you hit the Left half of the Front it will do whatever the Left Shape does, same for the Right.

There is only going to be those 3 Types of Recipes, one for the Top of the Anvil, one for the “|” Shaped one (Big Bending) and the third for the “-” Shaped one (Small Bending)

3 Likes

Small necro update,. when I was clicking random things with a magnifying glass, I noticed the magnifying glass showed how many uses a Gregtech anvil had left. Would it be possible to also state what a side can do?

Also interesting to see the bounding box has a ‘front’ marked, though this doesn’t seem to do anything nor can be changed.

2 Likes

Yeah it has a Front, if it was facing the opposite way it would swap the left and right in regards of functionality.

And the magnifying glass doing that is uhh I dont know if that would actually fit, the Sides are clearly marked to be visible to the eye, so that is something you can quickly learn with experimenting on copper or so.

2 Likes