Making an emergency trigger for steam boilers

As I am very notorious for blowing things up involving steam, I was wondering about putting in a safety like you can for crucibles with temperature sensors. Can I do that with a Gibbl-o-meter? Or is there some other way that works better, maybe with a pressure valve? I am very unfamiliar with both of those items. Anyways, seeking the collective wisdom of this forum.

2 Likes

The Gibbl-O-Meter should be able to measure the Pressure inside a Boiler, just go with the Scale Mode (Circle with a Dot in it) and measure the Redstone until it reaches 14 (15 would blow up).

Also did you know that at a certain point in the Yellow Range, Boilers emit more Steam to depressurize faster? This CAN lead to some sort of Boiler Overclocking, which most of the time you miiiight want to avoid.

2 Likes

Thanks Greg, I appreciate it. Thanks for the extra info though! Good info for those who are good at this mod and good info for what I need to avoid lol

2 Likes

I use gibblometer for large boiler and reactor combo (I make reactor’s output bigger than expected boiler’s input).

3 Likes

Gibblegook meter yes, I use that often. Also use brass safety valves! One over each boiler. It helps make things safer.

3 Likes

What exactly do the safety valves do?

2 Likes

They release excess steam when the pipe is full to help prevent explosions. I think they aren’t 100% safe, but they really help because you can hear them hiss when it’s high.

2 Likes

How do you guys blow up your boilers? My boilers don’t get over-pressurized at all, because they supply exact or less amount of steam required by turbines and steam engines. It’s the best safety measure you can take—always utilize all steam. Second and obvious, use appropriate-sized pipes. And, of course, you can have a pressure valve for extra safety, but I personally go w/o it.

The first and, I hope, the last time when I blew up a boiler is when I got a great idea to remove calcification off of the heated boiler :brain:

3 Likes

I’d like to answer, but it’s more of a “I can’t wait to see my boilers!.. Where’s my boilers?” situation.

3 Likes

Ever had a wooden pipe supplying water nearby catch fire and stop sending water? Upstream something jammed and steam backs up? Design is good, but so are safeguards.

A machine that can explode, I’ll always put a safety on.

2 Likes

No, I never had as I simply use metal pipes and rubber ones for water later on. But once my wooden water tank got fire and was burnt, but I was nearby so I turned off the boilers.

Well, that’s true. But usually I do it dry until it kills me or it destroys itself, and only after a negative experience I use safeguards.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’ve had most all the negative experiences. ;] So I always safeguard.

4 Likes

Lol, ahh gotta love such experiences. ^.^;

1 Like