Machine Overclocking

What happens when the power cap is exceeded? As for machines like turbines, they simply break, but what about heat-taking ones? They just keep running as usual. I guess that all the excess power is wasted, am I right?

Also, there are machines that can be overclocked with no power loss. What does it mean? Does it mean I can crank up power input right to the cap with no loss or above?

And what about downclocking? Is there any penalty for this apart from slower processing?

2 Likes

There is no Underclocking, Recipes would just flat out not process in that case.

Overclocking costs ONLY more if the Machine is Tiers above the minimum requirement.

If you insert more power than the Recipe needs, it will process the Recipe faster without penalty.

If you insert more Power than the Machine can possibly accept, it will either be wasted or lead to explosions.

2 Likes

By underclocking I mean a range between minimal and medium values. The steel oven takes 32 (16-64) HU/t; here by underclocking I mean a range between 16 and 32 HU/t.

2 Likes

Still I don’t understand what’s overclocking. Either I’m dumb, or I didn’t make myself clear. Let’s take that steel oven as an example again. Does overclocking begins at power levels above 64 or 32 HU/t? Or 64 HU/t states its power cap?

2 Likes

Look in NEI, EACH recipe has its own Power rating, that is where you need to look, NOT the Machine.

2 Likes

So why then are the power inputs written in the minimal-medium-maximum way? That’s a bit confusing; I thought that medium value marks the point from which overclocking begins.

If I got it right, the overclocking is when a recipe that takes, let’s say, 16 GU/t is processed in the machine that is supplied more than this? And if it goes way far from 16 GU/t (how much?), then the energy gets wasted? Except for lossless-overclocking machines. Is that it?

2 Likes

16 - 64 = Tier 1
64 - 256 = Tier 2
256 - 1024 = Tier 3
and so on.

If a Recipe is in a Tier that is below the Machines Minimum, its power gets multiplied by 4, and the time gets divided by 2, and that will happen until the proper Tier is reached.

If a Recipe happens to be right at the border between two Tiers (64, 256, 1024 etc) it will take the most benevolent option.

3 Likes

Does this have associated math? Lol

1 Like

It doesn’t have Maths, that’s why it is benevolent. XD

1 Like