Late game usage of burning boxes

Is there a cover that can be placed on the front of burning boxes that can block the opening with a signal like a hatch, rather than using a piston/block method? the piston feels rather crude and bulky once we reach circuits etc.

2 Likes

Pretty sure at least Gas Burning Boxes can be turned OFF by the switch Cover. Still need an Igniter though.

Burning Boxes themselves were supposed to be a crude “Machine” that one should WANT to replace by better things. That is why there is the need for Pistons.

2 Likes

Yeah I prefer solar and engines for the most part but devices that require HU like extruders, ovens, distillation towers, large crucibles and crystallisation crucibles still require HU, and I run some of the more energy intensive or long processes on fluidized burning boxes. Electric heaters being kinda inefficient for HU generation, and gas burns a little too fast for some of the lengthy processes.

3 Likes

I used this very happily before.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if we couldn’t get a boost to burning boxes if they have oxygen gas piped in, other other boosters.

4 Likes

I guess that will just speed up the burning (HU/t increase), but the energy yielded per fuel unit would be the same.

2 Likes

Sure. Or if we use kerosene on top of coal coke and oxygen, you’d hope to get a boost.

3 Likes

I use Fluidized Bed Burning Boxes extensively. They’re efficient and can reach higher HU/t than even Heat Exchangers.

3 Likes

I hope this can be added. And it provides a use for Oxygen, since ore refining generates such a large amount of surplus Oxygen.

Also, it’s actually realistic for Oxygen to increase the energy yield per fuel. Because with air, a significant portion of thermal energy is wasted heating non-reactive parts of the air (mainly Nitrogen). A larger volume of exhaust gas is produced, at a lower flame temperature, taking away more energy.

Perhaps some kind of “Advanced Burning Box” can be implemented? Possibly requiring Oxygen and EU input, and supporting built-in igniting and extinguishing, controlled with redstone signal. Stuff like Coal Coke is actually viable as late-game energy source, only hindered by the difficulty controlling burning boxes.

5 Likes