Large Heat Exchanger

I looked at the next version of the heat exchanger to be added, and I thought it was a bit inefficient and unreasonable to convert HU from hot fluids to steam from boilers, so I came up with a way to generate steam directly by heat exchange, like GT5U.

Like the large heat exchangers in GT5U (though not added by @Gregorius ) the large heat exchangers in GT6 are 3x4x3 in size. The main body is made up of invar or stainless steel walls (unlike GT5U with titanium). There are two heat exchange modules in the middle. The recipe may require copper for better heat conduction. The location of the main block may need to be considered (I’m not even sure if I need the main block)…

Hot fluids (such as lava, thermal coolant, etc.) are imported from the top, and cooled fluids are exported from the bottom. Distilled water (I don’t want to consider calcification, so I can only import distilled water) is imported from the bottom of one side, and steam is exported from the top of the other side.

It’s obviously more efficient than a single heat exchanger plus boiler, but it’s as dangerous as a boiler: a full steam buffer explodes like a boiler, and no water melts down because of too high temperature. It may be used in future GT6 nuclear reactors, maybe GT6 should add its own coolant…

3 Likes

interesting concept, I agree with the premise as current steam generation kind of jumps from small boilers to large multi-block boiler, with the lowest tier constructed from magnalium I believe? It would be an interesting alternative design or middle man before jumping into the high tier materials.

I would state that this thing would require a lot of copper, like dense copper blocks or something in that region of material. Or if you’re feeling evil Greg, annealed copper only.

3 Likes

You can use the smaller Heat Exchangers to power Boilers, the whole Idea of the Concept was to be Modular, so you can also just use them to transfer Heat to an Oven, Extruder or so.

That’s why I would like to avoid having a dedicated Coolant to Steam kinda Machine.

3 Likes

I just think the structure of a single heat exchanger is a little different from that in reality. It’s possible to use small heat exchangers to heat boilers and thermal machines, but you won’t want to use a bunch of small heat exchangers to provide heat for large boilers. Not only does this seem to be very inefficient (because boilers only accept heat at the bottom), but you also need to consume a lot of Lava can make this “geothermal boiler” output steam. So I think of the large GT5U heat exchanger, which is obviously more efficient than the small heat exchanger + boiler, and more similar to the real heat exchanger.

2 Likes

I had thought about doing that but assumed they were only coded to work as part of a multiblock.

I’m going to try that out soon, can they pass heat horizontally if I put them in a line?

2 Likes

The Heat Exchangers are like burning boxes but for lava and coolant, and with less ignition and stuff.

2 Likes

Not sure i’m following exactly, are these the same heat exchangers that you use to build the distillation tower?

How would one wire them up to lava/coolant?

2 Likes

The heat exchanger is a good idea. It makes me remind the Lava Boiler in GT5.

It can be designed as a special kind of boiler.(hot coolant–coolant : water–steam) But the normal boiler (HU : water–steam) have already existed.It seems only can produce HU… :thinking:
Therefore,we have already had liquid burning box.

The HU can drive machines.But using its HU to drive machines is a little unreasonable. In reality, heat mainly produce by the directly burning of fuel (coal or oil) or electric heat(eddy current or electric resistant).Heat exchangers are mainly used in nuclear plants to make the coolant re-generate.

3 Likes

Wait what, did I seriously name the Multiblock Parts Exchangers??! Those are actually Heat Pipes. XD

2 Likes

Build a large boiler and power it with 8 dense tungsten heat exchangers. And name it large heat exchanger. Actually, does the same.

2 Likes