Iron Dust won't smelt

It takes me 7 to 8 lignite coal to smelt Hematite. I’ve used 26 lignite coal with 10 iron dust and it refused to smelt. The recipe doesn’t show anything else required to smelt iron dust.

2 Likes

1 hematite by mass is smaller than 1 iron dust, as such you’re probably going to need quite a bit of fuel to smelt 10 of them together to 1811~k, have you built a thermometer yet? it’s pretty crucial for any real use of the crucible. It also depends what burning box you are using somewhat.

2 Likes

I didn’t have the material yet to mine trough basalt to get to cinnabar/redstone. I just made a sifter and now have cobalt but ran out our black sand and am getting more for other tools.

2 Likes

I would suggest investing some time into bronze tools if you are only using iron for tool crafting.
Bronze is every bit as good as iron in the early game with similar properties, but somewhat easier to produce depending on what’s available around you.
Bronze is made from the combination of copper and tin with the ratio being 3 copper to 1 tin, this will produce 4 ingots worth of bronze. Cobalt and bronze tools make a good set of pickaxes to take with you when mining, with bronze having a greater durability than iron albeit at a slightly reduced speed and cobalt giving you the ability to break level 3 rocks.

I should also note that bronze only requires a temp of 1360~k which is much easier to attain in the early days than irons 1811k, which can be harder to control on cruder crucible setups.

2 Likes

I’ve started using cobalt I’ve been getting from washing and sifting Granitic Black Sand. Yes the durability is much better.

3 Likes

I would recommend to start using Ultimet alloy as soon as you can. Its not that hard to make. If I recall corectly you just need cobalt, chrome, manganese and nickel? But its mostly cobalt. And its better than cobalt.

2 Likes

The recipe shows Molybdenum, instead of Manganese.

2 Likes

Yeah, its molybdenum…

2 Likes