Instakills and mechanics you can't prepare against

I’ve played a lot of GregTech during last few years. I play on hardcore since I want to learn from my mistakes, YOLO style.

It frustrates me when I stupidly die to mobs, throw wrong stuff into crucibles, walk near lava, click on a NEI recipe and die to mobs during 3000-recipe load or tweak the electolyzer in the rain and then have to restart my world due to them. That sucks, but these were all my fault and I should’ve prepared better.

But then there are stuff that’s just outright unfair. In vanilla, entering the end is one instance where you could get really unlucky and get knocked off by the dragon instantly and even ender pearl couldn’t always save you. But for GregTech there are a couple extra such mechanics added. I died to russian FSB skeletons with polonium darts because I didn’t have cure-all a couple of times. Finding cure-alls requires quite a bit of luck. Fortunately I could banish FSB seketons from config. Radaways probably would’ve helped too, but they’re far in the techtree.

Now most recent game ended by what I guess was toxic gas. I found some oil (after getting damaged by it after finding it, fortunately I was in ok health). I mined through a slightly different route, saw something entering my tunnels, tried to escape the tunnels but was killed in a couple of seconds. It’s like hyper version of nether lava that you can’t defend yourself against if you unleash it. I guess I have to rush rubber and get a hazmat suit for mining now, but mining only with hazard suit sounds very not fun. It would take close to 10 hours for me to get that, and I would have to prioritize it.

Both of these are terrible that you can’t really prevent them from happening, only try to fix it when it happens. Late in the game, with tech you can get a few more tools against them, but you just have to rely on luck in the early game.

4 Likes

Well Skeletons are able to be prevented in some way, including the config. :wink:

As for the Natural Gas you encountered, it goes upwards so instead of you leaving sideways have you tried just digging 2 blocks down and looking at it from below? Then you should be fine. ^^

Edit: Another way would be digging a little bit upwards in case you’re in a staircase, so the gas goes past you instead of into your face.

Edit2: And always remember, Minecrafts Poison Effect can NOT kill you, it was continuing to have your head inside the Gas that killed you via suffocation. :wink:

3 Likes

It felt like I died in about three seconds from full health after seeing it. Does the damaging debuff even have a smaller duration than that?

I should’ve plopped a bucket of water to stand inside to buy a bit more time.

Feels like those countermeasures you describe require impeccable reaction time, lightning-fast decision making and good luck that you have the tools and rock types in your advantage.

Edit: I definitely didn’t have time to open the inventory and check what status effects I had.

4 Likes

lemme check how fast the whole suffocation timer is. I needed to make some custom garbage because Minecraft only ever lets water do the whole bubble bar thing.

3 Likes

I dig my tunnels three blocks high for this very reason.

3 Likes

Okay I made the whole suffocation timer only go off every 1 second instead of every 0.5 seconds or whatever the default invulnerability frames are.

3 Likes

Emmmmmmmm.
When I was playing GT5 in servers, I always met some Skeletons which equiped with GT arrows.They seldom killed me, though some arrows,like Pu or U, is pretty awful(radiation) .The skeletons only have poor 10 hearts, but for players, there always have tooooo many mods that can reinforce them.Unless you are playing pure-GT.

Also, some useful mods, like Dynamic Surroundings (can show your buff directly without using GUI) , Keeping Inventory , Gravestone even OpenBlocks are ready. If you do not like them, just have /gamerule.

In server, they mainly use plugins. The players will not drop their items in Overworld.But in worlds like Nether , End and so on, they only depend on their good luck.

3 Likes

I would say the gravestone mod or Cyano’s loot-able bodies to be a necessity, too many times has my stuff vanished or fallen into a crucible, etc. Dynamic surroundings is great and I would recommend it merely for the ambience it offers.

3 Likes

1 second cooldown is a bit more reasonable. Suffocation damage is one whole heart so with poison I, there’s almost 9 seconds of time. There’s some good info here for my next hardcore world.

4 Likes

For natural gas, although I used the Android in Matter Overdrive and then used HeartCrystal to improve my HP to 20 hearts. It still shocked me in the first time when I expose to it.:wink:

3 Likes