Infinite Distilled Water, hands free. A Distilled Water production plant from Hot Springs

Through struggle, we learn. After blowing up my boilers for the fourth time due to my lack of watching my distilled water, I knew I needed a better solution to my forgetful ways. Fortunately (and unfortunately because I still haven’t found an oil spring :angry:), I found a Hot Spring under my base. This, with some monke brain thinking, got me going on how to solve my problems.

What you see before you are an arrangement of 8 dryers, 8 heat exchangers, hot spring water being pumped into the bottom of the exchangers, normal water being pumped into the dryers, normal water being pumped out of the heat exchangers to join the water being put into the dryers, and distilled water being pumped out of the dryers through the top. Use the tooltips to figure out where to put what pipes in what arrangement, I will say that the exchangers can accept inputs from any side, but they have a clearly marked output. Note that the water that comes out of the heat exchangers are not enough to power the dryers, you will need an additional water source.

For my 8 dryers, I’ve found a basic wood tank works fine. No need for anything too expensive.

I’ve found that one drain on an 8 dryer system is ever so slightly too little, I needed 2 and it over-compensates so I won’t be running out of hot spring water.

I’m not good on knowing the math behind how much goes in and out, but I get a decent steady flow of distilled water. Hope this inspires some of your bases if you’re ever having trouble making distilled water or like set-and-forget systems. Happy building!

3 Likes

You could put multiple Drains on one Pipe, they should tick in a round robin kindof fashion to avoid overfilling the Pipes.

Also, how the heck did I not think of using the Hot Spring Water for Distillation, it does not make any real life sense at all but its a neat mechanic. XD

3 Likes

I suspect that you aren’t collecting “used” distilled water from steam turbines and steam engines…

2 Likes

Nope! I either over produce it or forget to produce it. There’s no in between in the monke brain.

2 Likes

Singleblock steam turbines and engines return 80% of used steam. That means you would need like 5 times less distilled water.

3 Likes

This exactly. Always recycle.

Also beware wooden tanks around burning boxes, they burn even through walls.

2 Likes

Yeah because they are hollow so a Fire Block has space inside of them :wink:

1 Like

Just like MY SOUL. Hollow, lightless, full of creosote.

2 Likes

I’ll be real honest, didn’t know you could recycle. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Because in GT6 Heat is just Heat, not limited by the temperature. You can use pretty much any heatant through a Heat Exchanger to produce arbitrarily high temperature on a Crucible, which does not make any real life sense at all either.
And Electric Heaters have no advantage besides easy switching, and their efficiency is low. While in real life they’re capable of reaching higher temperature than what can be reached through combustion alone, and the efficiency loss happens mostly at Heat->Electricity instead of the other way around.

3 Likes