Inconsistent hopper timing requirements

I’m using version 6.14.03 of GT. I have a setup where I want four queue hoppers to each emit one stack (at whatever stack size they are configured to):

I am having an issue where all hoppers except the leftmost one can pull/push stacks if I give a 1-tick-wide off pulse, but the left hopper requires a 2-tick-wide pulse. Configuring the redstone to make a 2-tick pulse does not work for me because then the other hoppers operate for two cycles.

One thing I noticed is that if I remove and replace the other queue hoppers, they also require a 2-tick pulse to operate. However when I reload the world those hoppers are back to working with 1-tick pulses, while the left hopper still needs a 2-tick pulse. I have tested the same pulsing mechanism in a creative world and there all hoppers require a 2-tick pulse.

Let me know if I need to supply more information.

2 Likes

Uh try powering the Hopper with a Wire from the other Side. You run into a vanilla Bug there, where the TileEntity tick order depends on when the TileEntity got created/loaded.

So the best I could tell you is powering all 4 Hoppers from below instead of at the same height.

Also pretty sure the description of the Support category of the Forums tells you how to submit Bug Reports without any Account whatsoever on IRC :wink:

1 Like

Powering them all from below didn’t seem to change the behavior, I guess I’ll try different things and see if I can get it to work.

2 Likes

try unloading and reloading them once you’re powering from below. I really hate Vanilla tick management if you didnt know…

1 Like

I did try reloading when I powered them from below, no dice.

2 Likes

Gah, that’s gonna be a pain to fix… I’m not sure if I will be successful just so you know.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into it. Even if you aren’t able to fix it on the GT6 side, I should still be able to work around it by adding separate pulse lines for the 1-tick and 2-tick hoppers.

2 Likes

Thing is the Hoppers aren’t the Issue, its the combination of Cables and Hoppers. Hoppers that are redstone updated will always do stuff afterwards, and when it has done stuff it will always wait a tick, so 1 tick and 2 tick should not have the issue you are describing. Are you going with Repeater Ticks (10 per second) or actual Game Ticks (20 per second)?

1 Like

I think based on what you said I was actually dealing with a 1-tick (game tick) pulse vs a 3-tick pulse, since the pulse is generated by the difference in reaction speed between repeaters and redstone torches. For 1-tick I just had the redstone repeater set to 1. For “2-tick” I had the repeater set to 2, which would have actually been 4 game ticks (generating a 3-tick wide pulse).

2 Likes

I tried powering the “laggy” hopper through a block as suggested in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rOC7H05hHw&t=10m, and this caused the other hoppers to emit 1 stack on the 3-tick pulse (and emit nothing on a 1-tick pulse). I guess it must have changed the tick order in some way, and it seems to work after reloading the world too.

2 Likes

I did something to Hoppers, maybe it helps you.

:gregory: This Version should probably be working for you. ^^

(note 1: The scary sounding Description is only there to make sure people don’t use that Version lightly.)

(note 2: if you use this Version more often, make sure your Browser didn’t cache the Download)

1 Like

Thank you, it looks like in the test version the original setup works now (with the repeater set to 2).

3 Likes

Ever since this change greg-hoppers won’t tick on server startup for me, until something interracts with it (e.g. until something pushes an item into them or I go and manually click in their slots)…

2 Likes

Thanks for telling me, I will doublecheck that. ^^

Edit: Should work now, once it is compiled.

1 Like

Hm. It still won’t start working until it has gotten a block update next to it (or until you’ve touched the internal inventory slots). Just placing down a hopper and throwing things on top of it don’t seem to work.

2 Likes

Oh I see what went wrong. It should work NOW once it is compiled again. XD

2 Likes

Thank you, Greg. Seems to work now.

2 Likes