Idea for how procedurally generated music could work in Mechaenetia

I was reading through the ideas document and thought of how procedurally generated music could be a thing that exists, I remembered watching a video on how the music in that one Nintendo tanks game works, where the enemies present have a clip of music and some logic to integrate it with the other clips playing, maybe you could figure out a similar system, or have the ambient music be predetermined, but the npc civilizations have anthems that change based off of their stats and the instruments they have, or maybe when you start getting attacked the game will use a sort of threat level computed by your current gear, the damage and abilities of the enemy, and your past encounters with enemies of similar capabilities, and play a predetermined sound for that threat level, with new clips for a regular interval of threat level changes (ex:different music every 0.5 levels up, or 1 level up, or whatever you choose), where every larger interval (maybe 5 or 10 times the normal one), the clip trumps whatever else is playing, and changes them to another form of them, this would allow for boss music to exist, but not be as intense if you’re coming back with super-ultra-omega-hyper-doge-meme-very-high magical technology hoogly doogly gear, so that way you (somewhat sadly, as it would be very funny) don’t end up having ultra intense music playing for an enemy you can just eviscerate at the slightest touch

sorry for the wall of text

1 Like

you mean something like the latest factoriofridayfacts but a bit more advanced? Yeah that is basically what I plan because doing it as a MIDI mixer is way easier than actually composing stuff to be in sync.

1 Like

I actually stopped reading the fff’s because I’ve been playing modded mc recently and hence haven’t opened steam, I can’t look right now because school computer, but maybe in 30 minutes during lunch

1 Like

there should be an option that makes it not in sync so that you can ‘serenade’ your ears with the “wonderful” sound of every single file playing at once due to a bug

1 Like

Just so you’re prepared, I have a 15 question post draft that is only that long because of the limit on post amounts during the first day of account existence

1 Like

I think “Columns 1” for the SEGA Genesis actually had something like that where it plays the same track twice but one of them is slightly behind and slightly more silent. It is like an echo, lol.

But yeah, I love Leitmotifs and combining them depending on situations!

2 Likes