How is item storage supposed to work?

I’ve been playing GT6 on and off for a few years and there is something my friends and I always been confused about. How is storage of all the hundreds of different items types intended to be handled? Me and my friends always end up making rooms filled with chests with each one being for like “nuggets” or “tiny dusts”. The late game usually ends up with us spending like 25% of our time organizing or finding items. I would appreciate if anyone could point us in the right direction of a better way to do this if there is one.

2 Likes

Item Barrel or Mass Storage for the Dusts and Ingots. The Storage Inserter is something you can Rightclick to insert whatever you have in your Inventory into a Wall of Item Barrels and/or Mass Storages as if you were walking in front of that wall and rightclick inserting everything.

Item Barrels and Mass Storages will manage Dusts and Nuggets just fine, though partial amounts are invisible to the Outside.

If you have Tape you can also move the Storages around, though the more they contain the more Tape durability you need.

2 Likes

So if my understanding is correct, in practice you would have a wall of maybe 100 mass storages with one for each type of item? Is there something like a terminal for withdrawing specific items across the whole system or searching for something you know is in there somewhere? Or do people just run up to each mass storage one at a time?

2 Likes

There is no Terminal for that, typically people either make a Periodic Table, or they just put the useful Stuff closeby and the useless junk far away. You would be surprised how all Items you usually need fit into a small space. It is as if it was an “ingame GUI” to grab things from without actually opening a GUI.

3 Likes

Mass storage units automatically add 1/72, tiny, small and regular dusts together, just place a block of said dust in the storage unit as the largest size and pipe everything up, grind everything into dust it’ll know where to go.

3 Likes

You might try GT6’s logistics system…Although it is expensive and not as easy to use as AE2 (I haven’t figured out how to use it yet…)

3 Likes

grind everything into dust? Maybe not everything lol; I still have nightmares about shredding tungsten.

2 Likes

Shredding nearly everything into dust for long term storage in barrels is usually the way to go. You can use logistic pipes or AE2 later on to request specific amounts of whatever you need, if you want, or just memorize the place of all your dusts/set up filters if you’re going pure GT6.

2 Likes

This Funnel alike Design does not make use of the Storage Inserter Block though if you insert by hand. :wink:

1 Like

That’s because it’s all hooked up to the shredder, and automatically sorted by the pipes. I’m using x4 storage drawers hooked up to hoppers as a pre-aluminium dynamic filter when the centrifuge outputs the dusts themselves, the dusts get immediately routed to the drawers instead of clogging the pipe to the shredder since they can’t enter it, and then re-enter the system through hoppers that are injected directly into the pipeline, the only thing I need to do is add another x4 drawer+hopper combo whenever I centrifuge some new ore. When I will get access to extrautilities’ item filters, I will be able to oredict filter dusts and get rid of the drawers altogethe (bit of a cheaty system because it relies on third party mods to do the gruntwork, but as it is I could achieve the same effect by using 4 times the amount of barrels as a buffer I suppose)

Pipes are doing a wonderful job by the way. I’ve got 2 full sides of the funnel already filled with different dusts, but they route everything perfectly without any trace of lag.

2 Likes

How exactly do you measure said Lag? Because the Pipes do their Ticks out of band, meaning Opis and similar cannot measure the type of Lag they cause.

Though they should not lag in this configuration, especially if you run only a Bandwidth of 1.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t actually measure it, I just have bad experiences with other mods’ pipes (EnderIO for example is a serious offender) struggling with a similar setup. What I meant was that, whenever I load the chunk, my FPS doesn’t get halved when the system tries to take a slew of items and promptly rout them into the 100something barrels incredibly fast and precisely, like I would expect with pipes from other mods.

2 Likes