How does enchanting tools work?

I got me an Efrine Pickaxe, I got a Fortune II book, it’s not letting m enchant the pickaxe nor combine the pickaxe with the book. I am assuming I am missing something and I don’t want to watch a Bear’s Den video (God damn it Bear I know you’re knowledgeable, but you need a video editor to shorten things up, I got monke brain).

3 Likes

GT6 tools are not designed to be enchanted in vanilla way. Instead, their enchances come from the material that used to create them.

4 Likes

I believe that GT6 tools allow only material/tool type based enchantments, instead of the vanilla ones.

2 Likes

I use Soularium Pickaxes for a Fortune II enchantment, but it has a low Q stat (mining level). Jade gives Fortune III but is harder to get. Vibranium gives Fortune V.
I think you’re supposed to use Dynamites, which are more complex to craft but also give Fortune V.

2 Likes

Okay, so what do I use to enchant it, then? Nothing seems to pop up in my enchanting table.

2 Likes

He literally just said that the enchantment depends on the material you made the tool out of and that you can’t actually add extra enchant to the tools themselves.
Look at the enchantments on the materials in NEI and you will see the result for the tool you’re looking for.
Greg even just overhauled the tooltips now, so it’s extra intuitive.

3 Likes

So I made a shovel out of amber, which is listed in NEI with SIlk Touch. I craft the shovel and BAM! It’s already got SIlk Touch.

In GT the enchantment on the tool is a function of the input material, not a later enchant.

3 Likes

I hate that word. Decades of CompSci talent lost over glitter, sparkles, and “intuitive” crap. !@#$ intuitive.

READ the tooltips, that’s why they are there. It’s self documenting. It’s not intuitive.

4 Likes

I think the reason you hate that word is because of blatant misuse by web developers. Modern Websites suck so much because of it…

As for Enchantments, my Tools cant be enchanted the “normal” way, they receive their Enchantment purely based on the Material you make them out of. If you still want to use Enchanted Books or the Enchanting Table, you can make a vanilla-like Pickaxe any time, even if its durability is slightly nerfed. ;D

3 Likes

Intuitive isn’t just abused by webdevs. It’s any end user interface. The addition of sparkles and glitter and the false selling point of “you don’t have to LEARN anything to use our product”. It’s always false, it’s always snakeoil.

I’ve got an intuitive, easy to use, no learning required, sparkly white, user friendly, cloud computing, autoscaling, kubernetes powered, Webassembly based, secureboot enabled, Windows “systems administrator”, iPad powered learning, cryptocurrency financed bridge in a swamp in Florida to sell you!

4 Likes

No need to be mean about it, I’m obviously missing something here and just trying to make sense of things.

2 Likes

OH, it comes pre-enchanted? Like I don’t have to do anything to it? I was thinking the tooltip was saying that was the enchantment it was limited to, and you couldn’t put anything else on it.

Edit: That is how it works, thank you!

2 Likes

So they come pre-enchanted, essentially? I’m used to your mod being… not so willing to give me the good stuff.

Edit: Pre-Enchanted as in when I make an Efrine Pickaxe, and the tooltip says Fortune II at the bottom, it means that it already comes with that, and I don’t have to add it myself?

2 Likes

Correct, you already have Fortune II. :wink:

2 Likes

I present to you the meme that explains why I wasn’t getting it:

Thank you so much.

5 Likes