Have you ever done something stupid, guys

for me it’s trying to smelt gunpowder in a crucible

5 Likes

Building a Thaumcraft Crucible next to flammable Blocks. (the thing requires Fire Blocks below it)

4 Likes

From my short-lived GT6 survival server I can already name a couple things:

• Standing on a burning box
  • Repeatedly melting our crucible because it was made from granite with a lower melting point than the iron we were trying to make
  • Accidentally pouring an entire bucket of water into a hot crucible (steam explosions, yay!)
  • Installing MatterOverdrive (we had no armor because of the recipe changes and the androids kept pulverizing us)
  • Overdosing on berries
  • Falling into The Pit™ several times (we did not have guard rails at the time)

In retrospect I am not very smart

5 Likes

I made steam boiler exploded a lot
And I forgot pressure value exist

5 Likes

Turning on the GTCEu large bronze boiler with no water in it (bye bye half of my base)

4 Likes

I thought it only exploded if you added water?

3 Likes

It only explodes when the Steam reaches the final piece of the Red on the Barometer on the Boiler, which if you have a LOT of heat in the boiler built up, will cause the Water you freshly insert to instantly become all Steam and it explodes from overpressure like normal.

The Boilers CAN melt too though, but that is not an explosion.

3 Likes

I think it was the water not keeping up with the boiler so that there is a few seconds where the boiler was empty and when the next “packet” of water arrives, the boiler is empty and running so it blew up.
(ps it’s GTCEu boiler which works quite differently from GT6 boiler)

4 Likes

I’ve done that before. BOOM.

I wire up shutdown circuits to sticky pistons with bricks to cut off the burning boxes if either the water input stops or the pressure is too high.

The gibble-o-meter can be setup to emit when overpressure, but you’ll have to measure the normal operating pressure first. If the pressure is too high to fit on the screen, switch it to hex mode! Damn GT is smart.

I will use a drum next to the boiler array to store the distilled water with a fluid-o-meter on it. If it ever measures 0, emit to stop. That way there is still some water in the pipes, but the supply has ceased and we should stop before a dangerous condition results.

Finally finding some blast proof rocks (ie: black granite) can help isolate the damage. I know boilers are scary, so I put them away from my main storage in the back of my base. Then I build a room around them of high blast stone. It won’t stop it completely, but helps.

I’ve considered setting up my boilers underwater to see if that would completely nerf the explosion. Food for though!

6 Likes

I do know some nice blast-proof materials.
Have you ever tried reinforced concrete? It’s very cheap(even available in very early game) and has a blast resistance 48.0(Strong dynamite proof)

3 Likes

No, I normally use black or red granite bricks everywhere. I’ve considered upgrading them to reinforced versions.

4 Likes

By the way, overpressure problem can be avoided by adding a pressure valve on the pipes. :wink:

5 Likes

Have you ever had to message a Sysadmin by using Google Drive to share and unshare Files to spam push notifications to their Phone because they dont have ANY other way to receive push notifications, and never check regular notifications or their email?

4 Likes

Nope.
You seem to be very angry. What happened?

3 Likes

You know, the usual, some part of this forums software suddenly ate up all drive space out of nowhere (temp files), so the forums and the only viable line of communication to the sysadmin * cough * @OvermindDL1 * cough *, both of which hosted on the same server, simultaneously broke down and gave a 502 error for about 10 hours. :wink:

And it all happened the exact moment said sysadmin decided to post a link over in Chat, to something that detailed how HTML was a programming language, resulting in the bot that acts as a bridge to some discord server, to be so absolutely disgusted that it committed sudoku. And nobody noticed the Bot died until hours later, not even the person who ultimately caused it…

I figured this would qualify as “doing something stupid” XD

3 Likes

I did wonder what happened. Never a dull day.

3 Likes