Hafnium? What can I do with it?

So I know Gregtech 6 is still in development but I am getting a substantial amount of hafnium and it says its flammable AND explosive, I tried using it as fuel but it doesn’t seem to work so Is there anything I can use it for currently?

2 Likes

I dont think Hafnium has any plausible use in GT6 at the moment, you could just use it in the Matter Fabricator as Atom Source or something. There is quite a few of such somewhat useless Materials, simply because I add them as Byproducts just because I saw that mentioned on Wikipedia as a byproduct for example. :wink:

2 Likes

I have some suggestions: firstly, hafnium should not be flammable and explosive. Secondly, hafnium can be made into some alloys with high melting point (as in reality). You can also consider using these alloys as crucibles.

3 Likes

Like its sister metal zirconium, finely divided hafnium can ignite spontaneously in air.

Not flammable you say? Not explosive you say?

2 Likes

That’s at least in dust form. Hafnium is not easy to burn under normal conditions.
Also, Ta4HfC5 is currently the highest known melting point metal (higher than tungsten). Maybe you can use it to make crucibles or other high temperature resistant materials in the future.

3 Likes

finally ground Hafnium does combust readily in air. I would say it would be used in nuclear reactors as a type of casing like zirconium. but that’s just me.

3 Likes

Correct, Ta4HfC5 can withstand up to 4263K with tantalum carbide and hafnium carbide having temps of 4150K and 4201K respectively. However a material was invented in 2015 that based on computer models would handle up to 4400K being made from hafnium, carbon and nitrogen (HfNC).

Of course they haven’t actually synthesized it yet, :wink:

As for uses it’s main use in real life appears to be control rods as it absorbs neutrons quite readily. It can also be used in high heat thermocouples.
Hafnium oxide seems to be quite useful in electronics as a replacement for silicon oxide in some applications.

I’m also thinking as it’s so similar to zirconium, it might be able to be used as an alternative for it in some applications.

3 Likes

Yeah Ta4HfC5 is on my list. I will put HfNC on that List too. unsure about the SiO2 Replacement.

2 Likes

honestly I would rather just go grab some sand myself. :grin:

2 Likes