Gearbox axle adventures: Act two

The gearboxes seem to be working much better, however, I’m still having some issues applying torque to the axle via two gearboxes. See images below (the right motor is not connected).

As soon as I connect the left motor to the axle in the back gearbox via the axle of the front gearbox (order of inserted gears and axle doesn’t matter), the system halts. (I tried both rotation directions for the left motor)

However, if I set the left motor’s rotation direction appropriately and use gears to connect the front gearbox to the back gearbox’s axle, the system works as expected.

2 Likes

Okay uh, Communication Issue here, I think:

• You say the first 3 Pictures work as expected, yes?
  • The 4th Picture is literally the same as the 3rd Picture, so what exactly was the change you made?
  • And the 5th Picture works again when you use Gears instead of the Axle, right?

So what happened at picture 4?

2 Likes

Maybe I should’ve marked it. The 2nd and 3rd picture show that the axle in the front gearbox rotates in the same direction when either the back gearbox is connected to it or the left motor is, but not both. Picture four shows both connections (axle and left gear).

2 Likes

So you are combining two Input Sources and because of that the Gearbox doesn’t work? And if you do it with Gears instead of Axles it does work?

Both Sources are identical Speed but different Torque I presume? Note that the Electric Cables might be lossy and that impacts the Motor Speed, resulting in two different Speeds being combined.

2 Likes

Yes. If I use an axle in the back gearbox and gears in the front one, it works. If I use axles in both, then it doesn’t.

Yes, though in the images above, the torque should be the same as well. I forgot about the cables. I removed them and added separate battery boxes, but the problem persists.

I tried another scenario - I moved the gear in image one to the front of the (back) gearbox and it worked even with both axles.

I can make another video tomorrow if that would be easier.

2 Likes

I guess I need to try it out myself again, to see where exactly the issue lies. Better than watching some video. :wink:

2 Likes

I would invite you to hop to the test site on my server but it’s heavily modded :smiley:

2 Likes

Nah but I would like some sort of diagram for whatever is hidden behind those cables, so I can easily reproduce the setup :wink:

2 Likes

Okay I just successfully combined 4 motors using two adjacent Gearboxes, both with Gears only and with Axles. Did you remember to use a Soft Hammer to re-enable the Gearboxes after they jammed during your Mode switch?

2 Likes

Alright, while trying to create a minimal setup to reproduce the bug, I think I found the root of the problem. It was easier for me to just make another video rather than try to accurately describe the setup. It seems like the bug is dependent on the direction of rotation of the motors.

2 Likes

Wait why do the axles still reverse the direction?! I thought i just fixed that?

2 Likes

It’s different. Before, they reversed when you had two gearboxes and two axles. Now it has something to do with the direction of the motor rotation and the presence of that gear.

2 Likes

Okay so I fixed your Issue, but I found another really dumb Issue…

So Gearboxes store which sides they accepted Power from in order to not send the Power backwards. All nice and well until you realize that there is no dedicated Input and Output Sides on the thing, it just does it on the fly depending on TileEntity-Tick-Order…

As soon as you try to use 2 Custom Gearboxes to combine the Power of 4 Motors, the interactions between the 2 Gearboxes can result in one of the two Gearboxes completely ignoring that there is a face to Output to.

I really hope I can somehow remedy that because I do not think that Bug is actually fixable without making a whole Network Simulation, which would remove the simplicity of the System.

1 Like

So I did remedy that huge Issue to the point it shouldn’t fuck over most Players anymore (even though it is not fully fixed nor going to be fully fixed). Feel free to try it.

:gregory: This Version should be working for you. ^^

(note 1: The scary sounding Description is only there to make sure people don’t use that Version lightly.)

(note 2: if you use this Version more often, make sure your Browser didn’t cache the Download)

2 Likes

The browser asks the server for the timestamp on the file to make sure it hasn’t changed since it last cached it.

2 Likes

I have to inform you that this is incorrect, Chrome based Browsers sometimes think that same Filesize means same File, without asking for timestamps. I would not have written that there if this didn’t happen to someone before!

1 Like

Wow… how can chrome be so broken? This has only been part of the HTTP spec since at least the 1.0 revision, if not the original 0.9, and netscape managed to do this correctly in the '90s.

2 Likes