Food related questions

Hi Greg, just going over some aspects of Gregtech and I was wondering about a couple of things.

The hazelnut is listed as a crop under the oredict cropHazelnut but I can’t seem to plant it using cropsticks. Could you say if it is a crop or not, or if I’m doing something wrong? Recently worked out you could plant bush berries so I’ve been trying different things.

In terms of fermentation, if I fill a barrel with the correct juice and leave it will it ferment into Wine/Vinegar, or is that just wishful thinking? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The OreDict lists every plant as “cropSomething”, including Tree drops such as Binnies and Pams.

As for the Barrel, fill it with correct Juice, use Soft Hammer on it to seal it, and then just wait. I think Magnifying Glass will help you determine how long it takes, since it takes longer the more you put in the Barrel.

2 Likes

Ah that makes sense, I didn’t know if it was an add-on to something in Pams I was missing.

Ha! I was going to try a soft hammer to seal it but I decided to ask instead in case I was wrong and waited ages for nothing to happen. You think of everything huh. :laughing:

2 Likes

Imagine you wanted to store Juice in a Barrel before running it to a Fermenter or so and then found out OOPS EVERYTHING IS WINE NOW. XD

3 Likes

I remember trying that barrel fermeting feature eons ago when it was first added. It’s a neat idea, but I decided it’s not worth using since it takes a good while to ferment and then the rum doesn’t last long in a burning box. I guess if you want vinegar for food early game before you have the stainless steel for a fermenter, then it may be worth it, but if you are looking for burning box fuel, stick with lignite/coal/charcoal until you can make a fermenter ( and an IC2 crop harvester ).

3 Likes

It was not meant to be a viable Fuel Source lol. It’s just a Food thing I did, like many Food things I did.

2 Likes

I make capacitor electrolyte / low voltage cells with the vinegar.

2 Likes

Why were you burning rum?!? o.O

2 Likes

Is that from some other mod or something? GT6 low voltage cells take sulfuric acid for the simplest ones, and they aren’t useful until you can make circuits to build battery boxes.

I wanted a better fuel source than charcoal, and one that could quickly be turned off to avoid melting down the crucible. This was a few years ago on my first time playing GT.

3 Likes

He means IRL, lol. Vinegar can be used for Batteries. :wink:

2 Likes