Finding Oil out there in the Wild Wild West

My first encounter with oil was a base, and I just did some oil shale mining which is a little slow to process. Do you guys mine oil shale normally or do you guys have good methods for finding an oil spring?

2 Likes

I don’t know. It seems that it’s a good way to excavate near bedrock with square spiral.

There is an oil spring under my house. I’m really lucky.

3 Likes

If you look at the distribution of Fluid Springs, it is not “that” lucky, it is almost guaranteed to have one of each Spring within 128 Blocks of your Base or so. At least if you count any of the Oils as the same.

2 Likes

If you want to find oil, don’t look for it. Look for small diamonds. It’s very hard to find something if you are looking for it. For example, I was mining for small diamonds roughly below my factory, and found 2 oil “deposits”. First is heavy oil with fluid springs, so I didn’t even check what kind of oil is in the second.

3 Likes

About zeolite. It’s dungeon loot, so caving is a fairly good way to get it. Also, I think I saw small zeolite on desert’s surface fairly recently.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t it be generated between salt rocks and granite?

3 Likes

I usually use a tunnel machine from Railcraft mode. You are start your machine at level 11 (height), and it will digga 3x3 tunnel in one direction. On distance 100-1000 blocks you will find one or more cavity with oils. Oils cavity is spawned on level 0-18 (you can check it in gregtech config your mode )

3 Likes

Desert Zeolite is what I did.

2 Likes

Thinking this through, If I start out at a center point, mine out 128 in each direction, connect my tunnels so I think that makes a 256 by 256 square, if I mined every 10 or so in branching tunnels along my main tunnels, I should find something right?

2 Likes

Considering the current way Bedrock Springs generate, just dig in a 16 wide Grid and make sure that you dig through the center of the Chunks, since all that Stuff generates perfectly centered on the Chunk (to avoid worldgen loops).

2 Likes

I’ll try that. Thank you for the info

2 Likes

Quick update, using a slightly larger version of Greg’s suggested method, I did find a hotspring, which is not exactly oil, but it’s promising and cool that I found one!

2 Likes

I found 12 gas springs nearby, which are now powering my base. Fun!

3 Likes

That’s so many! I’m still trying to find 1 lol, just got the hotspring.

2 Likes

Gas tends to be in pockets like that, I think they’re even in the same chunk. I put a spot loader there, but I’m concerned all my pipes may not load. I want to test Greg’s long distance ones.

Can a hot spring be a water source instead of a river?

2 Likes

Also, still a place on the server for you!

2 Likes

They can, you just got to remember it’s hotter than normal water. Apparently you can use it in a heat exchanger for heat power, so it is sort of a power source, although I want oil for it’s byproducts.

I appreciate the server invite! I’m rather antisocial though.

2 Likes

Pfft, antisocial but then post pictures here. You’re expected to have your own base, not to share. ;]

3 Likes

He means 12 Spring BLOCKS not actual Deposits. :wink:

2 Likes

OOOOOHHHH that makes more sense. I was like 12!??! Set for life.

2 Likes