Fast Processing Of Aluminium Hydroxide

How to? It shall be smelted to molten alumina, but I don’t like to manually cast it into a mold. I smelt a lot of it and store it in a drum, then I put it on a mold with a hopper beneath it. Alumina cools down instantly, but the hopper won’t take it off as soon as it’s ready, but holds awhile before doing it. Is there a way to speed it up?

2 Likes

What’s happening is that it’s waiting for the mold to cool down to room temperature before it’s taking the item. You can speed it up manually with pincers, but the nature of the mold/hopper setup is that it will wait for it to cool down.

4 Likes

Freezer can speed up cooling of mold.

3 Likes

You can also use Shovel to remove the Alumina as Scrap, and use Shredder to process it.

2 Likes

What you mean is the Electric Cooler, not the Freezer. :wink:

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter - he will use neither :wink:

4 Likes

Actually I think it doesn’t make much sense to smelt Aluminium Hydroxide into Molten Alumina. What’s the point of using Cryolite, if you already have to melt Alumina?
By the way removing Alumina as Scrap saves a lot of HU, since you don’t have to actually melt Alumina. However there doesn’t seem to be a way to automate this process, does it?

3 Likes

Easy automate, simple setup and really fast process.

3 Likes

@Gregorius By the way, is there any particular reason a Dryer recipe doesn’t exist for Aluminium Hydroxide? Since Tungstic Acid is processed in the Dryer to Tungsten Trioxide…

3 Likes

Wait what exactly do you mean there? H2WO4 and AlO3H3 are very different, so what do you expect to happen there?

1 Like

They’re all “hydrates of metal oxide”. And they all require decomposition and releasing of water in their processing.
So what I expect is a Dryer recipe that turns Al(OH)3 powder into Al2O3 powder and Distilled Water, just like it turning H2WO4 powder into WO3 powder and Distilled Water.

3 Likes

Dumb question because I’m lazy, is Gibbsite actually ANY useful for ANYTHING at all? (I cant find any specific use in code, apart from smelting)

If not then yeah, that needs a Dryer Recipe for sure…

1 Like

Gibbsite is Aluminium Hydroxide. Mineral name versus chemical name.
Bauxite is processed into Aluminium Hydroxide, which is processed into Alumina(Aluminium Oxide), which is electrolyzed.
I don’t remember any other use of Gibbsite, besides being processed for Aluminium.
So the Dryer recipe means getting Aluminium will be a bit easier. The major part of complexity lies in Bauxite processing and Electrolyzing anyway.
Currently Aluminium Hydroxide (as an intermediate to Aluminium) needs to be either melted with a Smelter, or inside a Crucible (which is more difficult to automate). And the produced Alumina would need to be Shredded to powder. I think it’s dumb. And Cryolite makes little sense if you need to melt Alumina anyway.

3 Likes

I checked NEI and reassured that Aluminium Hydroxide is, indeed, not useful for anything at all apart from Crucible Melting and Smelting.

3 Likes

I’ve added the drying recipe for processing aluminium hydroxide to alumina in my build, but I’m not sure how fast it should be processed compared to the tungstic acid (I just copied its recipe values). Do you know if it should be dried faster than this acid?

@Gregorius Wiki says it could be decomposed by heating.

3 Likes

The chemical formula in your post is just barely visible. I suppose this issue is related to transparency.

2 Likes

I just copied it from the source.

3 Likes

For the speed or the energy consumption, I also have no idea. Though the decomposition temperature seems to be higher than Tungstic Acid.

3 Likes

I set the cost to 336000 HU (with the minimum of 64 per tick) for drying 14 units of the aluminium hydroxide to 5 units of alumina. Seems fair to me.

3 Likes

The cost I selected was directly correlating to how much distilled Water you get out of it.

3 Likes