Energy Network Multi-Packet Behavior

How does the energy network behave with multiple packets per tick (aka. Amperage)?

• Do transformers process more than one packet per tick on the high voltage side? Or do they only accept 1 packet when step-down and 4 packets when step-up?
  • Do converters (especially motors, but also heaters, coolers, dynamos, etc. ) process more than one packet per tick? If they do, then do it limits power range on a basis of packet size (aka. Voltage) or on a basis of total power per tick? Also, do they “coalesce” power into a single output packet per tick?
  • If 1 packet satisfies the power range, but 2 also fits, will it input 1, or will it input 2, possibly starving other machines?
2 Likes

Transformers take any valid Input amount on whichever the Input side is be it high or low, as long as the Voltage Ranges are correct and the maximum total output power has not been reached yet.

Motors and such can take more than one Packet, but they are again limited by the maximum output total.

And yes it will starve other Machines potentially.

2 Likes

For example, the Galvanized Transformer in step-up mode, accepts like 16EU/p*3, 16EU/p*4, 64EU/p*4 but not 15EU/p*5, 63EU/p*5, 65EU/p*2, and in each tick outputs either 1 packet of 64~256EU/p or none, right?

Both Voltage and total power matters? The Voltage has to be in the range, then it draws available packets until before the power limit would be exceeded, right?
And do they combine the input packets and output only 1 packet per tick?

I asked because I’m trying to find some way to drive my machines near maximal power instead of the rated value, both for recipe support and for processing speed (without incurring overclocking penalty).

2 Likes

Amperage never matters except for burning wires. Its only total power input that matters. Things will take as many amps as they can.

2 Likes

Then what if the Voltage is below minimum but there are enough amps so the total power input fits? e.g. will 8 amps of Voltage 16EU/p count as 128EU/t and drive an MV tier machine?

2 Likes

If Voltage is below minimum the energy will flat out be rejected altogether. And if the Voltage is too high explosions will happen.

2 Likes

What happens when uptransforming?
Input range: 16-64 EU,
Output range: 64-256 EU,
Total input: 16 EU/tick.

This is a simplified example of what I really use (several chained uptransformers into yttrium-barium-cuprate cables).

3 Likes

it should emit a packet of i think 64 every 4 ticks, either that or 128 every 8 ticks. Not really useful when running Machines, but good when you want higher Tier batteries.

3 Likes