Ender Garbage Bin Redstone Behavior

Not sure if this is intended or a bug, but the Ender Garbage Bin says in its tooltip that it can be enabled/disabled using redstone. This works just fine for items, so anything that gets put into its inventory when it has a redstone signal going into it will stay there until you turn the signal off. However, for fluids, there’s no way to replicate this behavior, at least as far as I can tell from testing.
Something I think might be worth mentioning is that, even when the Bin is disabled with redstone, it still accepts items pumped in with hoppers or item pipes, which leads me to believe that this may be a case of the fluid pipes pumping into the bin and having their fluids instantly voided, since there’s no actual slots in the bin itself for fluid (as fas as is visible in the GUI). Is there a chance you could make it so that the bin outright rejects fluids (and maybe items) when it’s “powered” by redstone?

2 Likes

Oh wow, this might actually be an unintended behavior there, I did not think about Fluids at all when doing the Redstone for the Bin. Good catch, I’m gonna fix that.

2 Likes

This should work fine for you, at least when it comes to accepting Fluids. Having Items be at least “accepted” in the 9 Slots is intended, so that you can look at what WOULD have been trashed and decide to flush it yourself.

:gregory: This Version should probably be working for you. ^^

(note 1: The scary sounding Description is only there to make sure people don’t use that Version lightly.)

(note 2: if you use this Version more often, make sure your Browser didn’t cache the Download)

3 Likes

Looks like that fixes it; thank you for taking the time to look. Just to be transparent, I discovered this behavior when testing if I could use the redstone control to implement an pre-aluminum, rudimentary filtering setup for oil and ethanol based on a predictable constant input of oil/biomass, and using a bucket-o-meter to enable/disable the trash can to prevent buildup of unwanted material, which does work now. It doesn’t necessarily bypass progression, but I could understand if you didn’t like this happening as a pre-aluminum setup

3 Likes

Nah, you can filter things however you want. There is ways, such as yours, to actually filter for Materials, such as using Drums that are pre-filled with SOME of the Material, since they wont accept any other Material afterwards. At least until you fully drain them. But if you avoid full drainage of the Drums, you can set it up perfectly fine. :wink:

3 Likes