Electrolyzer fails to process cassiterite

I was trying to use an MV (aluminium) electrolyzer to process cassiterite. When I inserted cassiterite dust I heard a “click” sound and it stopped working. The electrolyzer consumed 2 of the cassiterite dusts but didn’t progress. Also the looking of the electrolyzer turned dark indicating it wasn’t receiving power.
At first I thought maybe I wasn’t supplying enough power for the cassiterite recipe. But after checking NEI it didn’t seem that the power would be insufficient. The cassiterite recipe requires 42 GU/t. The electrolyzer is powered by an MV dynamo, which is powered by 2 steel turbines, 4 strong invar boilers and 4 invar fluidized bed burning boxes. So it should be (without counting transmission losses) 4640.75*0.6875=132 EU/t.
Also, I was using the same electrolyzer in the same setup to process coltan dust all the way to the metals, and it always worked well. According to NEI these recipes would require more GU/t than the cassiterite one, so again it shouldn’t be that I didn’t supply enough power.

2 Likes

Cassiterite requires 42 EU/t. You overclocked this recipe once (by using MV instead of LV), so now it requires 4 * 42 EU/t.
You should use chromium or strong bronze boiler, steel turbine and LV dynamo for this.

4 Likes

So by overclocking the recipe, the energy consumption quadrupled and goes past the nominal of the higher tier device.
This means that, if the original recipe requirement (e.g. 42 EU/t) is on the “upper half” (>32 EU/t in the range of 16~64 EU/t) of the supply range, then the energy supplied also always have to be on the “upper half”. Bumping the tier alone does not guarantee operation no matter how high the machine tier. Right?

2 Likes

Yes. But I don’t yet know how multiblock centrifuges, electrolyzers, etc. behave.

3 Likes

You could also use an invar diesel engine directly on the LV dynamo (or tungstensteel on an MV dynamo, if you have tungsten production going)

3 Likes