Does Nitro Fuel Sucks?

Does anyone use it? It seems like a waste to me. Yes, it gives the most energy per liter, but does it worth it? It requires glyceryl to be produced, while other liquid fuels don’t. Ethanol does the thing for me. Am I missing something? I think of just decomposing fuel oil to ethylene and propylene and don’t mess with nitro fuel.

2 Likes

I’m considering this as an option for disposing of all the nitrogen dioxide that I get from centrifuging these end stone blocks. I don’t know if it worth the effort. And I don’t have glycerol currently.

3 Likes

Yeah, that Nitro Fuel is a thing from older GT Versions that I for some reason left existing in GT6. I am not sure if using it makes sense anymore.

1 Like

I checked that “nitro fuel” in reality seems to refer to a kind of advanced racing fuel. It mainly adds some nitromethane to greatly increase the combustion speed to strengthen the power, and can greatly reduce the oxygen consumed by combustion. However, it also causes nitrogen oxide pollution and has potential safety hazards. I don’t know why it is nitroglycerin + fuel in GT (nobody wants to add explosives to their own engine, RIGHT?).
In gt5u, nitro fuel was renamed “Cetane-boosted Diesel” and made with Tetranitromethane + diesel. However, the original recipe of nitroglycerin + light fuel was not deleted (shown as “Deprecated recipe”).

4 Likes

The actual inspiration of it was me misunderstanding how the whole “Inject Nitro for a Speed Boost” in Racing Games worked. Unsure if it was NO or NO2 that was injected into the combustion chambers.

1 Like

In fact, none of them, but nitrous oxide (laughing gas).

In industry, the method of heating ammonium nitrate is used to produce N2O, but be careful that the temperature is not too high, otherwise it will lead to explosion.

NH4NO3==250C°==N2O+2H2O

In addition, can be heated of sodium nitrate and ammonium sulfate, or urea, sulfuric acid and nitric acid can react.

If the catalyst in Oswald process is changed from platinum to manganese dioxide + bismuth trioxide, nitrous oxide will be generated instead of nitric oxide.

There is nitrous oxide in the recipe of gt5u’s octane-boosted gasoline, which is directly formed by the reaction of nitrogen and oxygen. I’m not sure whether this is feasible in reality.

4 Likes

Oh right I forgot about N2O, which I always thought was NO2, which is a SECOND misconception I had back then, which apparently stuck with me enough to mention the wrong Nitrogen+Oxygen molecule by accident.

1 Like

In the laboratory, hydroxylamine hydrochloride and sodium nitrite can be used to prepare nitrous oxide. Note that sodium nitrite must be added to hydroxylamine hydrochloride solution instead of vice versa, otherwise excessive sodium nitrite will generate toxic nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide. However, considering that the industrial production of hydroxylamine hydrochloride or sodium nitrite is much more troublesome than other methods, this method will not be used in industry.
Laughing gas can also be used for Foaming Cream, because of its good fat solubility and won’t lead to cream corruption.
Nitrous oxide is used as a “substitute drug” in some regions with strict drug control (such as China). There have been many cases of sequelae caused by excessive nitrous oxide consumption in society (the control of nitrous oxide also affects the foamed cream industry…).
And, is there any plan for biodiesel?

4 Likes

God I love nerds, always giving out the good facts.

Edit: I second the biodiesel suggestion

2 Likes

Wait what do you mean by plan for Biodiesel? It is the one thing that got renamed to Bio Ethanol and Ethanol and Biofuel and a bunch of other things in the past, so I am not sure what you mean. (and no i was not the one who renamed the stuffs…)

1 Like

But you need the sulfuric acid and the glycerol additionally to the nitric acid, so I don’t think it worth it.

2 Likes

I think biodiesel is a different, more stronger thing than ethanol

2 Likes

So, that glyceryl is actually a nitroglycerin? Then it’s really strange that is used in a fuel.

2 Likes

I use nitro fuel. It’s better then just fuel and almost a free upgrade - glycerol is sort of a byproduct of cryo-distilling air for neon. Thermoelectric cooler also outputs heat, so I don’t waste it.

2 Likes

How is it a byproduct of air cryo-distillation? Anyway, I’m too far from using the cryo-distillation tower.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you find this stuff fun, but I found this a fun read

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-ethanol-and-biodiesel/

2 Likes

Sort of a byproduct. Cryo distillation tower needs cold units (CU). Thermoelectric cooler converts EU into CU and HU. I could just waste HU, but I use it for distilling biomass in a nearby distillation tower.

5 Likes

You have a bad link, it’s 404.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

That’s strange. It says ‘not found’ in Firefox, but it opens in Chromium.

3 Likes